The Micro Machines Appreciation Thread

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Micro Machines Appreciation Thread

Post by MattG »

So they do; nicely spotted!

Here's a link to the full pseudo-category: https://www.mightyape.co.nz/search?i=Al ... &r=1755803

Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

The Official Site is sharing the love.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

The Warehouse has Micro Machines 'Battle Set Assorted' listed on the website ($44.99), no image but is listed as available in-store. Hopefully we'll see more MM sets arriving at NZ stores soon.

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catal ... KU=2026883
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

That price and name would match the transforming playsets. I'm guessing it's the R2 and Trooper head sets, which come in an assortment of two. :) The other, larger playsets of they Falcon and Star Destroyer each ave their own skus.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

So while I was in Houston last week, this happened...
Star Wars Micro Machines.JPG
Star Wars Micro Machines.JPG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 9284 times
I've just taken 'em out of the packets (and will throw up some loose photos soon), but so far I'm really impressed. The molding and paint-apps are true to the old MM aesthetic: i.e., simple and robust. I'm no expert on plastics - but it seems that there are two different materials being used in producing these. One is the sturdier substance we saw in old MMs (used for most of the 'blockier' vehicles - like the various speeders, and Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle), and the other is a slightly more rubbery materials used for thinner detailing such as the X-Wing and TIE Fighter wings. The latter seems prone to a small amount of warping, but so far the old hot water / cold water trick seems to fix up these imperfections just fine.

One piece of advice for when these hits stores here in NZ however: pick your packs carefully. It seems the vehicles aren't being inserted into the blisters with great care, and I spotted a few X-Wings which had had their cannons bent back a full 180 degrees by the way they'd been packaged. It's most likely fixable, but better if avoided.

The one pack I'm still after - and couldn't find anywhere - is the "First Order TIE Fighter Attacks" set with the Falcon, and the downed TIE fighter. Fingers crossed that'll be easier to come by here in NZ.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Very cool. Totally looking forward to scoring these myself at some point.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Nice one Arc! I'm envious of your haul. I have a set that my trade buddy Statesides has picked up for me, but I have to be patient and wait till I get over there next month before I can lay my clammy hands on them. ;)

I posted this in the store reports thread but I'll repost here as well - I found the MM blind bags at The Warehouse Lyall Bay over the weekend. They were hanging on hooks near the counters without any pricing labels that I could see, but I am guessing they would be $4 - $5 each? I have yet to see any cheat codes posted for beating the blind bagging, but will keep my eyes peeled. Codes exist for almost every other Hasbro-produced blind bag product so I am sure it's only a matter of time before someone works them out and posts them.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Reverend Strone wrote:...I found the MM blind bags at The Warehouse Lyall Bay over the weekend. They were hanging on hooks near the counters without any pricing labels that I could see, but I am guessing they would be $4 - $5 each?....
The Warehouse has the blind bags priced at $4.99 each - http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catal ... KU=2020344
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Thanks for clearing that up, Kristy. :)

This is a slight detour on from SW MM discussion, but I thought I would share some pictures of my Star Trek Micro Machines (and similar sized minis) display. It's around a metre in length with three levels and wired with Christmas lights which also illuminate the fibre optic stars in the black velvet backdrop. An electrician would cry to peek beneath at the mess of glue, wires and cables, but it does its job. ;)

Here it is on the wall with the room lights on ...

... and then turned off so you can better see the internal illumination unhindered by reflections ...

There are some gaps where I have more minis to add. There are new ones coming out all the time and I have a few customs on the go as well. I have intentionally made the spacing a bit random so that I can continue to add more starship minis as I acquire them, though it's already beginning to look quite full.

If folks want to see close-ups of the minis I would be happy to post them too. The various fleets are grouped roughly by design chronology and affiliation, but not exclusively. It started out as a Micro Machines collection but I have changed my focus so that now my goal is to have one MM-sized representative of any ship class that appeared in the Star Trek canon. As such, the fleet is currently made up of minis from Micro Machines, Attack Wing, Fleet Captains, Tactics, FASA, Hallmark, Furuta, Hot Wheels, Federation Models, and my aforementioned customs. I'm probably forgetting someone else, too. If a better version of one I already has comes out, I upgrade and either trade-off or use the redundant mini for customizing parts.

I chose not to include shuttle-sized miniatures. I have a smaller version of the shadowbox that I am still working on making to house all of the small fighters, probes and shuttles. I though they looked strange displayed together with the big starships because the shuttles tend to be so boxy and chunky next to the slimmer lines of the capital ships when the scale is so different. That and, I was also looking for any reason to remove some minis so that it didn't look too full!

I hope eventually to make a similar display for my Star Wars miniatures, only there are a LOT more of them so it will have to be significantly larger. I was thinking I might run it along the top of a book case instead, or do something more like Matt and Kristy have done so beautifully with their minis in a series of themed smaller displays.

Zoom in of one end of the display ...

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Reverend Strone wrote:This is a slight detour on from SW MM discussion, but I thought I would share some pictures of my Star Trek Micro Machines (and similar sized minis) display. It's around a metre in length with three levels and wired with Christmas lights which also illuminate the fibre optic stars in the black velvet backdrop.
This is such an utterly beautiful display. I've been lucky enough to see it in person (though, slightly before completion, I believe?), but words still fail me. Amazing work Strone.

I'm currently looking at my new TFA MMs and resenting the lack of old-school stands - but seeing the fantastic displays both you and Matt have put together really inspires me to think more creatively about display options.