Books: Latest Finds / Store Reports

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Books: Latest Finds / Store Reports

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The ex-Borders branch of Whitcoulls in Albany (Auckland) has two copies of Dorling Kindersley's The Complete Visual Dictionary (Updated Edition, 2012), but thanks to the school holidays the paper dust jackets are fairly banged up. :(
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Not really a "find" since it didn't come from a shop (not sure when / if it hits local bookshops), but I got my copy of Dorling Kindersley's The Old Republic Encyclopedia yesterday. It's a thickest DK book so far at 351 pages (incl. index). I haven't had time for a proper look at it yet, but it looks like lots of great images (as usual) and more text than usual for DK, but remains to be seen how much actual detail. :)
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Whitcoulls have new three-packs that contain mini versions of the Dorling Kindersley books:
  • Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary
  • Lego Star Wars Heroes Ultimate Sticker Book
  • Lego Star Wars Villains Ultimate Sticker Book
. The books are about A6-size and the three packs are priced at $24.99 ... the books are sealed, so I don't know how tiny the stickers are, but they will need nimble fingers!!
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

From an advert in yesterday's local North Shore Times newspaper (Auckland):
NEW: Star Wars Origami, $34.99
36 amazing paper-folding projects from a galaxy far, far away.

Gordon Harris - The Art & Graphic Store
Northridge Plaza, Don McKinnon Drive, Albany, Auckland
www.gordonharris.co.nz - Phone: (09)415-3406

All offers end 24 December, 2012. Available only while stocks last.
Sorry, I don't have time at the moment to see if their website does online orders, but it's probably cheaper via places like Amazon, MightyApe. etc. anyway.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Buzz Bumble wrote:...Sorry, I don't have time at the moment to see if their website does online orders, but it's probably cheaper via places like Amazon, MightyApe. etc. anyway.
This particular book won't be available from their wesite.

Stay tuned though...I've got a couple of copies to give away via a competition that will be online within a couple of days. :)
origami01.jpg
origami02.jpg
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

MightyApe has a 1-day book sale, with Star Wars titles at $10.

http://swnz.dr-maul.com/index.php#20121127
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

MattG wrote:MightyApe has a 1-day book sale, with Star Wars titles at $10.
Rats! Conviction is one of the books on my "To Buy" list, but they've only got the US version at that price - I'd prefer the UK version to keep consistent (or at aleast as consistent as possible) with the others.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Whitcoulls has 20% off all books ... although they've got almost no Star Wars books these days. :(

For those in Auckland, Scholastic are holding their warehouse sale again this year:
Scholastic 50% off all children's books
Wednesday, 12 December - 9:00am - 4:00pm
Thursday, 13 December - 9:00am - 4:00pm
Friday, 14 December - 9:00am - 4:00pm
Saturday, 15 December - 9:00am - 2:00pm
21 Lady Ruby Drive, East Tamaki, Auckland
Last year there were a few kids' Star Wars books, but it's mostly old stock they want to get rid of.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I went over to the Scholastic Book Sale above out near Botany Town Centre (Auckland). Like last year there's lots of good books for kids of all ages (and even a few reference-type ones adults might like), but only a few Star Wars ones.

The prices below are what you'll actually pay (which is 50% of the stickered prices):
  • Tatooine Adventures (Beginning to Read paperback book, Level 1), $7.00
  • The Clone Wars: Defenders of the Republic (children's paperback novel), $6.50
  • Darth Paper Strikes Back - An Origami Yoda Book (sequel to the Origami Yoda book about a kid who makes a Yoda origami finger puppet that can predict the future :roll:), $8.50
  • Lego Star Wars - Anakin: Space Pilot (short 3D graphic novel with plastic 3D glasses), $8.50
  • Star Wars Head to Head - Tag Teams (comparison statistics of characters - sort of like Top Trumps in a book), $8.25
  • Star Wars Cookbook - Wookiee Pies, Clone Scones, & More (30 recipes and includes Vader, Yoda and R2-D2 shape-cutters), $15.00
  • Star Wars Folded Flyers (paper plane book with printed pages you can cut-out and fold into "flyable" X-wing, Falcon, etc.), $12.50
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

For anyone, like me, who has ordered items from BookDepository.co.uk, there was an article in Monday's NZ Herald saying that there are delays with some of the shipments. Some people have been waiting for deliveries since October! BookDepository.co.uk and NZ Post are, as usual, blaming each other, but since I haven't found any reports of Australian orders being delayed, my guess would be that it is NZ Post and / or NZ Customs Dept. at fault ... although, it's also not helped by BookDepository.co.uk shipping each book of an order separately. :(