"THE Star Wars" (new Dark Horse comic)

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

"THE Star Wars" (new Dark Horse comic)

Post by MattG »

In case anyone hasn't seen it,...Dark Horse is going to release an 8 issue comic series based on GL's very early/first drafts for Star Wars (not an April Fool's joke), back when it still had "The" in the title, featuring Anakin Starkiller, General Luke Skywalker, etc.

I think I like the idea. Looks like it will use Ralph McQuarrie's early character and vehicle designs.

The announcement was made at WonderCon (prior to April Fool's Day): http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/ ... wondercon/
Attachments
THE Star Wars.jpg
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: "THE Star Wars"

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Could be a nice product if done well, but The Star Wars is very short - maybe there's a longer version. The "Synopsis" version I've got which I made it into a book form a few years ago is only eight A5 pages long (I've attached the PDF if anyone wants to print it: double-sided, folded in half and then trimmed).
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

That *censored* is awesome!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Buzz Bumble wrote:Could be a nice product if done well, but The Star Wars is very short - maybe there's a longer version. The "Synopsis" version I've got which I made it into a book form a few years ago is only eight A5 pages long ...
Thanks for posting that :)

The story does go through many revisions and expansions, so there should be plenty of material to flesh out a comic...eg "The Rough Draft", and "The First Draft" are expansions of "The Synopsis". Ultimately, it becomes "The Adventures of the Starkiller".

This site has some good analyses, including The Development of Star Wars.

I've always found it fascinating how the Synopsis version goes back to 1973, and the extent to which it evolved, while many elements were saved for later use!
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Comic 'The Star Wars' adapts GL's earliest SW draft

Post by Reverend Strone »

This one has been said to be coming for a while, but we finally have some pages to enjoy, and the art looks sumptuous. Story and preview images here ...

Looks really neat. I think I'll wait for the all in one graphic novel rather than pick up individual issues, but this is certainly something that peaks my interest.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Comic 'The Star Wars' adapts GL's earliest SW draft

Post by MattG »

(Admin note: topics merged)
Reverend Strone wrote:This one has been said to be coming for a while, but we finally have some pages to enjoy, and the art looks sumptuous. Story and preview images here ... ....
Awesome; that artwork is great...just what the concept deserves.