Fantasy Flights X-wing

Star Wars games discussion: console, PC, retro-video, board, trading card, miniatures and roleplaying.
Monkey
Ensign
Ensign

Fantasy Flights X-wing

Post by Monkey »

So Fantasy Flight have released a new miniature game X-wing where your little fleet of fighters takes on your opponents, in fast paced dog fighting styles.

I had the opportunity to play this game for the first time today and it is fantastic, basic enough to get to grips with really quickly but lots of little subtlety to make the game challenging.

I am not usually a fan of 'prepainted' miniatures, but these are really well done.

The starter set, and TIE, TIE Advanced, X-wing and Y-Wing sets are out now, with the second wave due at the end of the year including the A-Wing, TIE intercepter, Falcon and Slave one.

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_mini ... nmi=X-Wing
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Fantasy Flights X-wing

Post by Reverend Strone »

Once I saw these in person I just had to have them. These are astoundingly beautiful little minis and a great upgrade from the old Micro Machines and Wizards starship minis for a collector who buys for display purposes like me. That said, I have also heard good things about the game, so it seems these are a winning product on both counts. Anecdotally, they are selling well too. So well in fact, that wave 3 is on the way and it contains a surprise ...

Okay, this is old news, but I only just twigged and I notice no one else has mentioned them yet so ... The Imperial Shuttle with moving wings - awesome! A B-Wing - yayyyy! TIE Bomber - oh yeah! and the Moldy Crow - ya.. wait, what? Now there's a left field choice. Fortunately, while Kyle's ride came out of nowhere, it's one of the EU's better designs and has never been made as a mini before so it is very welcome (in my opinion anyhow).

Here are some more extensive previews for anyone interested in the gaming aspect of these ...

I'm hoping they'll have some advance stock available at SDCC this July, otherwise I think we're looking at an August release with preorders beginning to show up now. The A-Wing and Interceptor from wave 2 have become crazy expensive of the secondary market, so news of a rerelease of that wave later this year is also very welcome.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Thanks for that update Strone - I hadn't been keeping up with the latest on the X-Wing game.

I was a huge fan of the Micro Machines and Miniatures lines (still am) and these new vehicles look absolutely spectacular. Unfortunately they fall outside my collecting budget for now (getting a suit of stormy armour together sure does drain the resources) but this latest wave looks incredible - especially the Imperial Shuttle!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I have basically only seen these in their packaging, but agree that the detail and finish looks fantastic. They seem to be priced on the basis that they include/are part of a game system...Rev, what sort of prices have you managed to find them for?
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

I picked up the X-Wing, Vader's and regular TIE for US$10 + shipping, though I saw them for as little as US$7 each just before Christmas through Amazon. I have seen them for three times that at my local Toyworld but that's crazy. I think US$10-12 is a fair price considering the detail. They're a significant step up from any previous versions for sure. I haven't gone after the Falcon or Slave 1 but they would be higher. The Interceptor is currently commanding high aftermarket prices due to being sold out, but it's coming back later this year, so patience will save anyone after that ship a big chunk of change.
Last edited by Reverend Strone on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:I picked up the X-Wing, Vader's and regular TIE for US$10 + shipping, though I saw them for as little as US$7 each just before Christmas through Amazon. I have seen them for three times that at my local Toyworld but that's crazy. I think US$10-12 is a fair price considering, the detail. ...
Wow, okay, that's interesting. It's the local prices that have put me off, and I hadn't got around to looking much further.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

From the FF Xwing FB page, it looks like some pretty large spacescraft are imminent...
Attachments
n.jpg
n.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Reverend Strone wrote:Once I saw these in person I just had to have them.
Funny, I knew you'd say that!
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Wow, gorgeous! I won't be buying the big ships, but they certainly are cool. I never expected them to be doing stuff so large.

If anyone is looking to buy models, I ordered the latest wave of ships from Miniature Market and had them shipped to a US buddy to save on shipping. Though stuff drifts in and out of stock so you might have to keep checking back from time to time, the prices are pretty fair I think.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Woot! Just got word my latest order shipped. New starfighters are inbound. :)