Miniature and card-gaming to make a comeback?

Star Wars games discussion: console, PC, retro-video, board, trading card, miniatures and roleplaying.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Miniature and card-gaming to make a comeback?

Post by MattG »

I haven't played a lot of Star Wars miniature, roleplaying or card games (have bought a few bits and pieces as collectibles though)...did find it interesting to read that a new company has taken over the license for such products.

Main story: http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2528

Star Wars: The Card Game - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ard%20Game

Star Wars: X-Wing - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... nmi=X-Wing
Attachments
Star Wars: The Card Game
Star Wars: The Card Game
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Miniature and card-gaming to make a comeback?

Post by Archon Revuge »

Very interesting. I've always been a big fan of the CCG, RPG and Miniatures lines. It'd be great to see them make a comeback.

I wonder if it would be expecting too much for them to use game mechanics which are compatible with the old Wizards of the Coast products?
Monkey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Monkey »

Or even better the old Decipher stuff :D

Seriously though Fantasy Flight make a lot of awesome games...
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Even those old "choose your adventure" style game books briefly came back into fashion (the ones where you read a page or two, then have to decide what to do next to continue the story: "if you go left, turn to page 72. If you turn right, go to page 15").

The kids' book publisher Ladybird released some Star Wars-based books like this back in 2009 and 2010 as a Decide Your Destiny range:
  • The Clone Wars: The Way of the Jedi
  • The Clones Wars: Tethan Battle Adventure
  • The Clone Wars: Crisis on Coruscant
  • The Clone Wars: Dooku's Secret Army
The originals books of this type by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone were sort-of based on the old Dungeons & Dragons game, and some of these have recently been repurposed for the iPhone / iPad (The Warlock of Firetop Mountain).

They also made some nice RPG games based on both Dungeons & Dragons and Buck Rogers. I actually started making a Star Wars-based game in the same sort of style for the Commodore 64 ... but that was a long time ago (in a galaxy right here ;)).
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Buzz Bumble wrote:...I actually started making a Star Wars-based game in the same sort of style for the Commodore 64 ... but that was a long time ago (in a galaxy right here ;)).
Sounds cool :)
What's more, no mission will ever play the same way twice, thanks to a range of customization options, varied maneuvers, and possible combat outcomes. Damage, for example, is determined through dice and applied in the form of a shuffled Damage Deck. Each time your fighter sustains a hit, you'll draw a card that assigns a special handicap. Was your targeting computer damaged, affecting your ability to acquire a lock on the enemy? Perhaps an ill-timed weapon malfunction will limit your offensive capabilities. Or worse yet, your pilot could be injured, compromising his ability to focus on the life-and-death struggle in which he is engaged...
The level of detail they are planning on putting into these games sounds great too.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Some more news on the games, as well as shots of the X-Wing gaming pieces.

That X-Wing model looks way nicer than the WotC version. Here's hoping the final product is as good as the prototype.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

They are quite nice. I wonder what the actual size/scale will be...those fighters look comparable to the old Galoob micromachines (which I was a big fan of).
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I liked the MicroMachines / Titanium vehicles too, and the Galactic Heroes (although I didn't collect thgese figures). They always seem to discontinue the better lines and introduce rubbish like the Slingers, those silly racer things, and the 99th repaint / repackaging of certain figures. Same with TV always cancelling the good shows and keeping the "reality TV" garbage. :(
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

This will be one to watch. I'll skip the card game as I don't plan on doing any gaming and would only be buying them for image reference, and given they are using artwork rather than photography from the films, I won't need any of them. I'm tempted to check out the minis game though. I loved the old Micro Machines and have a big collection of those as well as the WOTC Starship Miniatures, which I actually worked on too (that was fun). I didn't get into the Titaniums because for their size I didn't think they quite had the detail level to justify their price, but these new game protos look really nice, and if they are going to take their time releasing new ones then I could probably stretch my budget to pick up a few ships as they release them. I look forward to seeing more.