Is The Old Republic Worth Getting?

Star Wars games discussion: console, PC, retro-video, board, trading card, miniatures and roleplaying.
Brayden
Cadet
Cadet

Is The Old Republic Worth Getting?

Post by Brayden »

Hello everyone.
I have been considering playing TOR for a few years, especially after I played Knights of the Old Republic last year. Is it worth getting and playing? I'll probably only have the free version for about a week before I can earn some money working with my parents on the farm to pay for the subscription.

And if I joined is there any guilds based in NZ, that would let a 13 year old join them (I would probably play as a Sith or Imperial)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is The Old Republic Worth Getting?

Post by MattG »

Hi Brayden - there are a few of us that spend a lot of time playing SWTOR on a regular basis. Unfortunately (from your point of view) the guild the I am in has a minimum age criteria of 24 years. Having said that, many of us played for quite some time (the first year or so) without joining a guild...there is a lot you can do on you own or in pick-up groups (e.g., 2+ and 4+ heroics and flashpoints). The game, as you know, is heavily story-driven, and most of that content is optimised for single players.

You can go quite far without paying for a full subscription. It's also worth noting that there is a middle-ground between FTP and full subscription...the 'preferred player' status is available and persists as soon as you make a minimal add-on purchase - here's the comparison table: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Most kiwis that I know of play on the Harbinger server.
Brayden
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Brayden »

Thanks, I'll consider that :)
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

I have been playing/subscribing since day 1, I definitely consider it worth while. If you want some free bonuses, you can use my referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Q43Ktn

There's a player in our guild that has two subscription accounts, she plays the game so much! My character count is 18 at the moment, playing on both the Imperial and Republic side (for me one character just isn't enough!). I love playing SWTOR, I definitely recommend it to any Star Wars fan :D
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Brayden
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Brayden »

So you can have multiple characters on TOR? I would probably play a Sith and a Jedi, because I like viewing the main storyline of games from two different points of view. I did a Sith and a Jedi character in Knights of the Old Republic.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Brayden wrote:So you can have multiple characters on TOR? I would probably play a Sith and a Jedi, because I like viewing the main storyline of games from two different points of view.
There are 8 different class storylines. Free-to-Play accounts get 2 character slots, Preferred Status accounts get 6 character slots, and Subscription accounts get 12...beyond that, you can purchase more, up to 22 character slots per server.
Brayden
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Brayden »

I've been talking to a friend who has played The Old Republic, he played as a Commando though because he thought they looked badass, I told him I would probably play a Sith or an Imperial and he was like "Those are alright I guess". But does the class I play affect my ability to join guilds etc. etc.?
Dawfydd
Captain
Captain

Post by Dawfydd »

Basically the class choices are copy paste on each side.
Each Class has its own story.

Jedi knight - Sith warrior = (single saber dps/tank or double bladed dps)
Sith Inquiz - Jedi consular = ranged dps and healers (or dual bladed lightsaber tank/dps)
Smuggler - Imperial agent = healer/dps (smuggler duel pistols dps, agent rifle dps)
Republic Commando - Bounty hunter = Ranged tank, or ranged dps - only real difference is commando has a canon and bounty hunter typically pistols.

Pretty sure that is how i remember it, each class has its own companions which build their own stories (somewhat) for Example the Jedi knight has a Sith helping him as a companion who's story (with the book Revan) is pretty interesting (Revan is a good read after Kotor and Kotor 2 which leads into TOR kind of.)

Its a very good mmorpg story wise i always enjoyed leveling much more than other mmo's but end game is the same as any mmorpg grind the small stat upgrades.
But they also have costumes which you can put upgrades into, you can look like Mandalore or most of the kotor/2 crew (their outfits at least) if you want.. it'll cost you a little more credits but its worthwhile imo.

And guilds are Republic/Empire some might have an age limit but if you spend time with some of their members i'm sure they'll see what type of person you are, its mostly to keep out angry young people, which doesn't always work, as age doesn't always equal mature ^_^

My reply is a little late, i hope you've gone ahead and given it a try, it can't hurt!
WTB
Cw44 Ashoka.
"Arc troopers 4pack", Rex phase 2 with knees.
Rys & Jek (in 2 packs)
Scythe(dvd)
Stealth trooper(w/jetpack)
CW56-ARF,Homing Spiderdroid (vehicle),At-Rt(s)
Action fleet Tie and Tie/In and x-wing(s)