Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - [Title Forthcoming] *SPOILERS*

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Reverend Strone wrote:I'm hoping NZ might yet get a slice of this new big Star Wars pie. We have the facilities, skilled labour force, ...
I'm not sure Power Rangers qualifies as "skilled". ;)

... exotic locations and a dollar that's worth less than most of our first world competitors' currencies. We were considered when a home for the prequels was being looked for. With Fox out of the equation as far as new movies go and the Aussie $ being so inflated I have to think NZ stands as good a chance as any. We're also only 3-5 hours removed from California, which makes facilitating offshore production a lot more convenient than a country further round the curve of the globe. The Canadians probably pose our biggest threat as far as attractive alternatives go, and Disney has a history there. Here's hoping we prevail.
Disney has made some of their kids' TV-movies here in the past. They have even filmed using a house near my street (as have Shortland Street and a few adverts), which is actually annoying since there's quite a few houses and side roads, but only one road in / out of them all, so having piles of film crew trucks and stop-go signs around is rather silly. Although not as silly as filming the The Block on an extremely busy main road! :(

I'm sure there'd be a bunch of us here who could stand to work on these films and any other new SW media like a tv show if it were to come to NZ.
They probably have enough coffee-gophers. ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Just a couple of polite notes... :)
Buzz Bumble wrote:I'm not sure Power Rangers qualifies as "skilled". ;) ...
The forum members here who have worked on Power Rangers are skilled and might take that personally. :)
Buzz Bumble wrote:They probably have enough coffee-gophers. ;)
You might be surprised at the level within the film/TV industry that a number of readers here work at.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Buzz Bumble wrote:
Reverend Strone wrote:I'm hoping NZ might yet get a slice of this new big Star Wars pie. We have the facilities, skilled labour force, ...
I know you're probably just kidding around Buzz, but adopting the role of the straight man for a sec here, I would strongly disagree. Regardless of your thoughts about the show itself, the skill of a crew working on something like Power Rangers is unlikely to be any less than that of a crew working on any other show, plus we have Hercules and Xena, Legend of the Seeker, Spartacus, Avatar, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, District 9 and countless other less well known tv and movies: NZ has a very experienced and technically adept film and tv workforce that is respected on the world stage. I don't think anyone would debate that if we can make The Lord of the Rings, Avatar or The Hobbit here, we can handle Star Wars. :D
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Reverend Strone wrote: I don't think anyone would debate that if we can make The Lord of the Rings, Avatar or The Hobbit here, we can handle Star Wars. :D
^ This.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

There are probably going to be rumours galore on such topics, and I hesitate to jump on every single one of them, but this has developed from a single-source scoop to something a little stronger...Oscar Winning (for Little Miss Sunshine) screenwriter Michael Arndt (also did Toy Story 3) has indeed written treatments for not just one movie, but for each film in the next Star Wars trilogy.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/08/ ... episode-7/
http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/next-st ... ael-arndt/
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:Oscar Winning (for Little Miss Sunshine) screenwriter Michael Arndt (also did Toy Story 3).
Two films with a lot of heart. He could be just what the trilogy needs if coupled with the right director/s.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

I hope this is true. Arndt has done great work. I'd love to see his take on SW.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Part 2 of Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas' discussion about the new Star Wars films:

[youtube]EBuOHM51YdI[/youtube]
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Buzz Bumble wrote:
:no:
Buzz Bumble wrote:
I'm sure there'd be a bunch of us here who could stand to work on these films and any other new SW media like a tv show if it were to come to NZ.
They probably have enough coffee-gophers. ;)

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Hey, at least I might get a chance to work on this show, Rev... considering ILM parted with Kerner, who is now completely gone, so you could see me back in the neighbourhood.

I won't hold my breath, though.