Rogue One Post-Release Discussion *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Rogue One Post-Release Discussion *SPOILERS*

Post by ZY-Fighter »

mdb wrote:So speaking of the Rebels link.
Wookieepeia has Chopper in the character list! Has anyone spotted him?
Zac in Whanganui
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

ZY-Fighter wrote:Wookieepeia has Chopper in the character list! Has anyone spotted him?
He can be seen when the Private is running after Mon Mothma.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

wait so Chirrut appears to use the force to make it to the switch thing without getting hit and turning it on. Stormtroopers are blasting away at him and just can't seem to hit him. Does that sound familiar? Is this film suggesting the reason why OT stormtroopers have a great deal of trouble shooting luke,, han, leia and co is because the force is influencing them? anyone else had this thought?
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Naw... to quote another Imperial: "You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk, Vader. This had better work."

That's why the troopers were missing.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

For me, outside of Vader's introduction (from the location to the design and execution), the coolest part was seeing an Imperial Dignitary.

Ever since I was a kid, I always wondered who are those creepy old men were... it was a nice touch.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Subsequent to the Rogue One release, this additional Rebels connection has cropped up. Hidden in spoiler tag as some might consider it a Rebels spoiler (although it is on official posters).
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/12/saw-g ... ars-rebels
kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kyloren »

I loved it. I rank it best of the prequels/sequel.

Had no problem with Tarkin etc.

My only irks were little things people haven't mentioned yet.

1) "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel Spies." Well, they sure as heck weren't spies. In Vader's eyes they would have been terrorists/rebel soldiers. "Spies" go in quietly and steal stuff secretly.
I'm ignoring the fact that there weren't "several" transmissions and that they were beamed to the Mon Cal, not Leia's ship. I think Vader should have said: "One transmission was beamed to your mother ship by Rebel Terrorists, copied onto Floppy Disc and brought here by Rebel Troopers!"

2) The movie I saw in a theatre in '77 was called "Star Wars." "Hope" had nothing to do with it. So, the constant referencing to hope didn't work for me, although, in the context of Rogue One, it was important.
Having a cold brew with Lord Vader
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

Thoroughly enjoyed R1, all the easter eggs were fantastic, they even acknowledged the EU with a couple of them like the Dark Saber novel, though this could also reference the Darksaber in rebels.

I found the pacing of the movie good, the monologue was fantastic and the action sequences where fantastic! I'm glad the fighting started getting more dirty in these new movies. If the rest of the stand alone movies are anything like R1 then I think we're going to get a very good new batch of movies showcasing more of the SW universe and showing more of the Tyranny that the galaxy is suffering from under the empires heel.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

kyloren wrote:..."One transmission was beamed to your mother ship by Rebel Terrorists, copied onto Floppy Disc and brought here by Rebel Troopers!" ...
:lol:
kyloren wrote:... The movie I saw in a theatre in '77 was called "Star Wars." "Hope" had nothing to do with it. So, the constant referencing to hope didn't work for me, although, in the context of Rogue One, it was important.
"Hope" was one of Leia's favourite words :p And when one "Hope" falls flat, she keeps looking for a "New" one.
  • "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope"
  • "What's so important? What's he carrying?"...."The technical readouts of that battle station. I only hope that when the data is analyzed, a weakness can be found."
  • "You must use the information in this R2 unit to plan the attack. It is our only hope."
Bartheda
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bartheda »

MattG wrote:
Bartheda wrote:...
I do want to talk about the elephant in the room though, something that I haven't seen talked about bascially anywhere yet. The Death Star destroying Jedha, is it just me or is that the most blatant political statement about not using drones and the USA military I have seen in a film to date. I'm all for those people being taken down a peg but it does seem to have gone unremarked or perhaps I am reading to much into it.
I didn't interpret it as political personally (outside of the SW universe)...just saw it in the context of ANH, wherein they had to make the Death Star threatening at the early stage, but not use it's "full power" prior to Tarkin's Alderaan demonstration.
Fair enough to, we each take away something different from movies.

How awesome was that massive smashed stone statue of the Jedi though? I got chills so many times in that film.