Rogue One Post-Release Discussion *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Rogue One Post-Release Discussion *SPOILERS*

Post by oota goota »

ZY-Fighter wrote:
oota goota wrote: I liked the way the director decided to re-use old footage in an attempt to tie itself to ANH. I mean you could tell it was old footage but it still totally worked right?
I saw someone else mention this - it really worked on me as I've no clue what you guys are on about!
ha ha that's awesome!
farmboynz
Colonel
Colonel

Post by farmboynz »

oota goota wrote:
ZY-Fighter wrote:
oota goota wrote: I liked the way the director decided to re-use old footage in an attempt to tie itself to ANH. I mean you could tell it was old footage but it still totally worked right?
I saw someone else mention this - it really worked on me as I've no clue what you guys are on about!
ha ha that's awesome!
I saw it and thought it was an amazing touch, to use the old footage and was easier to see 2nd time round, think first time i was just so into it, my mind didnt register it was old footage but on the 2nd viewing. yes went again tonight with the kids, boys loved it but some tears from my daughter especially when K2 died

also loved how the walkers were easy prey, made total sense why the AT_AT were so tough, someone learnt their lesson, just not enough as they werent expecting the tow cable :D
bring on rogue one, episode 8 and what ever else they have in stall for us :D
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

I thought I'd wait until a second viewing before posting up some thoughts (and the 1st was a midnight - so I was a bit tired when watching it).

Biggest highlight: Vader, all scenes - including the bacta tank, but particularly the end. I guess it's always how I imagined Vader to be, almost indestructible, using the force & lightsabre side by side. It was beautifully done - at the same time as being totally brutal.

Biggest "I'm not sure about this": Tarkin. The CG was amazing, and the voice seemed perfect. But, Peter Cushing has been dead for 22 years. As much is it served the story, and made the movie better, I am having an ethical issue with recreating a dead person for a movie. No problem with Leia (as much screen time as Luke in TFA, but with a line/word), as Carrie Fisher is still around & can give consent. I think the line "Hope" was audio taken from ANH - probably the message to Obi-Wan.

Favourite Callbacks / Easter Eggs:
Dejarik being played in Saw's camp as a board game not a hologram.
Ponda Baba & his friend - I wonder if Jedda was one of the "12 systems"
R2-D2 & C3-P0, makes sense. How the hell did Anthony Daniels not let this one slip.
Red & Gold leaders original footage - on the first viewing I thought it was only the dialogue re-purposed, but it is so much better with the whole scene.
The PA announcement for General Syndulla, maybe Hera makes it through Rebels (unless it is Cham).
The two Stormtroopers on Scarif taking about the obsolete / outdated speeder.
The in-cockpit view of the Tie Pilot. The helmet markings looked really familiar, does this pilot become an Ace at Scraif & get a Death Star posting?

Small but fun moment:
When Jyn is being rescued, one of the Stormtroopers is blasted, as he falls his helmet flies of revealing a person. It is one of the most humanising moments for an imperial trooper.

Thing I don't care about: No opening crawl, a bit of a surprise at first but didn't effect the movie. We still had text on screen for the locations - which I like. Except possibly Mustafar. While I am here, why would Vader hang out in the place of his most humiliating defeat /tangent

New Characters:
Jyn - Fantastic acting, especially the response to Galen's message in the hologram.
Casian - Showed the rebellion to be as brutal as the empire. Loved his expression when Jyn suggested he was no better than a Stormtrooper.
Chirrut & Baze - Have to be considered as one being in two bodies. I am surprised how much I liked them.
Bodhi - So much more depth than I thought. Though it did bring in the whole CGI tentacle, mind reading thing - that I could have done without.
Krennic - A perfect imperial, killing Lyra (& building the Death Star), shows his brutality - yet even he is overshadowed, or brutalised himself by Tarkin.
Galen - A bit of a McGuffin
K-2SO - I understand he was the comic relief, but I just didn't find him that funny. Didn't have the emotional range for me that SW droids usually do.
Saw - No real feelings, he was just there - again with the mind reading squid really threw me off.

There is so much more to this movie than what I have covered here, I guess I've got to go & see it again - just to be sure.]
Overall I really enjoyed it, possibly not as much as TFA, but I would rank it just behind that. 5,4,7,R1,6,3,2,1

I saw it the second time with my partner, who enjoys SW but is not the fan I am. She thought it was a decent war / heist film & gave it 7/10.
I think there were enough SW elements in it to add an extra point 8/10
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Eng76 wrote:...
The two Stormtroopers on Scarif taking about the obsolete / outdated speeder...
Watched ANH the night after, and this really stood out ("The BT-15 is being made obsolete"..."Did you see the new BT-16"). :lol:
Bartheda
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bartheda »

I really enjoyed it and this film really feels like a solid addition to the series.
There little parts that I enjoyed more than I thought I would, like Bail Organa being amongst the rebels talking about Obi-Wan. Tarkin and Vader being in it how they were. Vader killing those rebel soldiers was the highlight of the film for me. He was so terrifying and brutal.
The casting of the film did feel a little on the nose to me, I get that if you can put Forest Whitaker and Donnie Yen in your film you do but it did seem a little like behind the scenes Disney was taking a victory laps around a massive pile of money on a unicycle yelling "We are printing $$ with this thing, I can cast all my favourite ACTORS!!!"

I do want to talk about the elephant in the room though, something that I haven't seen talked about bascially anywhere yet. The Death Star destroying Jedha, is it just me or is that the most blatant political statement about not using drones and the USA military I have seen in a film to date. I'm all for those people being taken down a peg but it does seem to have gone unremarked or perhaps I am reading to much into it.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bartheda wrote:...
I do want to talk about the elephant in the room though, something that I haven't seen talked about bascially anywhere yet. The Death Star destroying Jedha, is it just me or is that the most blatant political statement about not using drones and the USA military I have seen in a film to date. I'm all for those people being taken down a peg but it does seem to have gone unremarked or perhaps I am reading to much into it.
I didn't interpret it as political personally (outside of the SW universe)...just saw it in the context of ANH, wherein they had to make the Death Star threatening at the early stage, but not use it's "full power" prior to Tarkin's Alderaan demonstration.
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

Zac in Whanganui
suburban_ennui
Ensign
Ensign

Post by suburban_ennui »

Watched it for a second time today. The characters seemed so much more resonant second time 'round, knowing that they're all going to die. Much as I'd've loved to have seen them all ride again, they earned their deaths, and each one felt really meaningful.

I still reckon Vader's helmet looks somehow wrong in his castle. But I *love* the scene in the bacta tank. So great.

I guess Scarif isn't too far from Tatooine? (On the basis that only 10 minutes seperate the end of Rogue One and the beginning of ANH.)

Bodi's haircut though. He'd only defected a few days before the events ... would an Imperial pilot really have a ponytail?
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Eng76 wrote:Thing I don't care about: No opening crawl, a bit of a surprise at first but didn't effect the movie. We still had text on screen for the locations - which I like. Except possibly Mustafar. While I am here, why would Vader hang out in the place of his most humiliating defeat /tangent
Well, Palps said it best, I reckon: "Let the hate flow through you..."
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Harvey Mushman wrote:
Eng76 wrote:Thing I don't care about: No opening crawl, a bit of a surprise at first but didn't effect the movie. We still had text on screen for the locations - which I like. Except possibly Mustafar. While I am here, why would Vader hang out in the place of his most humiliating defeat /tangent
Well, Palps said it best, I reckon: "Let the hate flow through you..."
I would hope you are right.
The Sith code first line is "Peace is a lie there is only passion" now passion should mean many things but in Anakin's case hate and anger were the manifestations of his passion so constantly reminding himself of where he believed it all started? Kind of.. Anyway. I can see that happening.

So speaking of the Rebels link. The ghost and the reference to General Syndulla. I really hope that refers to Hera, I am prepared that we may never have a live version of Ahsoka but Hera and the ghost at the same time is a fantastic homage. Also, hammerhead corvette?

I really enjoyed all the respect paid to the EU and other anthology films as well as the prequels and OT. In ways that didn't preclude future (re)introductions.

I loved that Vader felt like a real bridge between PT era Vader and OT era. The use of his saber was a really nice balance between eras especially as the OT actors were told to feel the weight of the saber vs the flurries of swings in PT.

And I loved the mix of accents. It felt like a real alliance of multiple cultures to hear that as well as see it.

And I didn't realise red and gold leaders were original, and I recently watched some old footage! It went around social media a while back that there were older ladies as pilots, it was really cool to see a nod to that as well. It felt like there was a mix of youthful uprisings as well as veterans who were there training and dusting off their helmets.