discussing star wars topics

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
mike
Ensign
Ensign

discussing star wars topics

Post by mike »

so whats wrong with asking what people think about gay characters,it is being discussed on many different sw forums.Are we not mature or intelligent enough to discuss this like adults?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: discussing star wars topics

Post by oota goota »

......feels like you've started mid-sentence fulla :) Care to give us some context for your question?
mike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mike »

Question was in reference to my original topic "gay characters". Of which has now been locked. I really don't understand why this occurred or why it cannot be discussed. Original question was not asked in a provocative way. It is being discussed on many other forums.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

A question was posted without any preamble or context that was an open invite for replies to come in the form of opposition to the inclusion of a specific minority sub-population in the Star Wars universe. If you want to talk about empiric evidence, then yes, the topic has been brought up elsewhere, but it has also very rapidly (if not immediately) degenerated into bigotry in a significant proportion of those online discussions, and these forums are not going to risk providing a platform for the alienation of a subset of our community. I have no fear that our regular posting members would engage in that manner, but there is a pool of registered members with but a few posts who have in the past sought only to stir things up with solely negative commentary.

If you genuinely wanted to celebrate the inclusiveness and diverse representation in Star Wars movies, then language to that effect might have been a better way to open a thread.
mike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mike »

Was not trying to stir the pot. Simply trying to gauge the relevance of sexual orientation in the SW universe? After all this is a kids movie, albeit one as adults we enjoy.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Fair enough. Arguably there wasn't enough material in your initial thread to make that determination.

It should be noted that in practice, the gender to which a character or individual is attracted does not need to reference anything in the way of "adult" material, and contemporary Star Wars literature has demonstrated precisely that. It was a topic that was came up in response to characters in a recent novel, where it was mentioned merely as a statement-of-fact in passing, and yet disappointingly large numbers of online posters were making accusations of the perversion of the Star War universe, vociferously but fallaciously wielding the whole "think of the children" argument.
mike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mike »

Noted. My original question was prompted by an article/announcement by Abrhams declaring that there will be gay characters included in upcoming SW films.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

mike wrote:Noted. My original question was prompted by an article/announcement by Abrhams declaring that there will be gay characters included in upcoming SW films.
wow it's a tricky topic Mike! I do agree with Matt though it's easy for threads like these to be derailed from a discussion of the elements within the Star Wars universe to a series of circular arguments where no one agrees to disagree.

I'd have to say though dude and I mean no disrespect but the last few posts of yours I've seen on these boards seem to be somewhat on the errr 'inflammatory' side rather than the 'lets share our opinions' side. So you may have trouble engaging people in discussion but I wish you well and have fun while you're here :)
mike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mike »

Not sure whether having an opinion (which I actually haven't presented on this thread) or asking a question is "eerrr inflamatory" but I think I will just back away from posting anything at all. I have watched over the past 16months, as people with any differing thought or opinion, be chopped down. You need to look up the definition of bigot, it may come in handy in the future.
P.S. Do you guys realise that this is a story and actually never happened?

Regards Mike
Quinn81
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Quinn81 »

I tend to agree with Matt and oota goota, its not worth going there. Do you think there are going to be Chinese characters in the next movie maybe red heads, more African Americans, Females, middle aged white males. The one thing I enjoy about this forum is that its not too heavy. You say other forums discus these topics, well if you feel that strongly go there to discuss. Looks to me like your here to point fingers.
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."