The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:...anybody know what the name of that droid is in Maz's Cantina? It's the one that looks a wee bit like c3p0. I like the design just curious
Do you mean ME-8D9?

http://www.starwars.com/databank/me-8d9

Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

MattG wrote:
oota goota wrote:...anybody know what the name of that droid is in Maz's Cantina? It's the one that looks a wee bit like c3p0. I like the design just curious
Do you mean ME-8D9?

http://www.starwars.com/databank/me-8d9

I found it more reminiscent of the robot from Metropolis, though from memory that was the original inspiration for McQuarrie when sketching C3-P0

oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Thanks MG thanks Eng! Yes that's the one and you're right it does look a lot like the metropolis robot very cool!
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

According to the Art of TFA book, that droid was designed to be a bada$$ assassin type pf character when the designer first drew it, but having only depicted the head and chest, the rest of it was wide open to interpretation. The creature suit team chose to interpret it as more of a steam-punkish betty-bot! Unless someone beats me to it, I'll try to remember to scan and post the art tomorrow.

Gotta be honest, I like the art better than the finished result. To me te final costume feels more like a Star Wars parody design than something that inhabits the same universe as Threepio. It's just a bit too caricatured for my tastes. Of course, I'd still love an action figure. ;)
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Here we go. You can see how something intended to be pretty sinister ended up being almost cute and goofy. I think I like the intent of the original concept a bit more. If we ever get a figure, I may do some customizing to try and make a version that recalls the concept art more, as a totally distinct 'just off camera' character. ;)

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Reverend Strone wrote:Here we go. You can see how something intended to be pretty sinister ended up being almost cute and goofy. I think I like the intent of the original concept a bit more. If we ever get a figure, I may do some customizing to try and make a version that recalls the concept art more, as a totally distinct 'just off camera' character. ;)
Thanks for sharing Strone - that's such an awesome concept. Love the almost 'decaying' look of the finer details. I look forward to seeing your custom!
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Cheers, Arc. :)

Here's an excellent, in-depth behind the scenes doco on the FX of TFA! The full video is 48 minutes, but the first 27 mins is all TFA.
mike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mike »

just saw the movie finally and was horrifically disappointed it was a total rip off of the original [ a new hope] j j abrams has nothing to brag about he did nothing new just told same story. worst star wars movie ever
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Reverend Strone wrote:Here we go. You can see how something intended to be pretty sinister ended up being almost cute and goofy. I think I like the intent of the original concept a bit more. If we ever get a figure, I may do some customizing to try and make a version that recalls the concept art more, as a totally distinct 'just off camera' character. ;)

Thanks for all the images all!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

mike wrote:just saw the movie finally and was horrifically disappointed it was a total rip off of the original [ a new hope] j j abrams has nothing to brag about he did nothing new just told same story. worst star wars movie ever
I watched a really interesting review by Moviebob well worth watching only 8 minutes I think. He basically suggests that it's the most expensive fan film ever made but despite that it's very successful at what it does. No matter if you love or hate the films he concluded that Star Wars was definitely back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W27dtFbBGRg

Also man that guy can talk fast he must have had YEARS of practice doing that :)