Midnight Madness Memories

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Midnight Madness Memories

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Okay, that is a pretty generic title, but it works.

So, since Matt said I should, here's a thread where everyone can share memories, tales and stories from their time in fandom: from premiere screenings, launches or finding that figure you've always wanted, during the the first era of the Wars, the "Dark Times" and the "Second Coming" in the Nineties...
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Midnight Madness Memories

Post by Archon Revuge »

Oh man, it's difficult to even know where to start on this - and I can't wait to hear others' stories. As an '80s kid, my first experiences of the 'Wars came a little later than most. I first saw A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back as a televised double-feature on Easter Weekend in '96. I'll always regret having missed the initial release of the original trilogy, but that year was a great time to first come to the saga. Star Wars was just hitting stores again with the new Power of the Force, Micro Machines, and Action Fleet lines - and those toys became a defining part of my childhood. A few months later we'd see the release of the Shadows of the Empire multimedia project (still my favourite part of the EU), and within a year Star Wars would be back on the big screen with the Special Editions.

The last big event I attended would have been the Clone Wars toy release at the Wellington Toyworld back in '08. It was my first real time encountering other Star Wars fans / collectors - and I was prepared for the worst. But there was no stampede or bun-fight. Instead, everyone acted with consideration and real concern for making sure everyone got what they were after. My favourite Star Wars memories will always be random displays of kindness like that. A while back I did a blog post on a few of my favourite moments - but I think my fondest will always be when KFC ran their Episode I promotion of six different toys over six consecutive weeks. I dutifully went in each weekend, purchasing one of their "Bucket Head" kids' meals and adding a new toy to my collection. Unfortunately, on my sixth visit, I discovered that the final toy had only been given a limited release and randomly distributed throughout the previous weeks. It looked like my collection was going to remain incomplete. For the staff member serving me, however that simply wasn't good enough. He searched high-and-low throughout the store before finally finding one of the toys unwrapped and set up as a display piece on his manager's desk. He nabbed it, and passed it to me with a conspiratorial wink.
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

This thread should be cool.

My first SW memory was watching ESB at the movies, probably in Oct 1980 (I was 4). It was the first time I went to the pictures, and was I probably only allowed to go because both of my parents wanted to see it & couldn't get a 'sitter. The memory is clear because I wasn't allowed any SW toys until I could put them in context. I seem to remember ANH being played as the "Christmas Movie" for a number of years on the BBC, so I would have seen that in the '80's as well.

I remember meeting David Prowse in our local toy store (Yeovil, England), probably around ROTJ. There should be a photo of this somewhere, but damned if I know where.

The original '80's toys were my entertainment as a kid, I had an AT-AT, a Falcon, a couple of Snowspeeders & X-Wings, as well as buckets of figures. My favourite's were the Tauntauns with the holes in the back to push Han or Luke into. I'd love to know where they have gotten to (some were left in England due to space constraints when we came over). My neighbor had a fantastic collection, but his parents always insisted that he store the vehicles in the original boxes when he finished playing with them. Smart parents in hindsight.

I saw the Special Editions with friends from work - always the midnight releases (I was working nights then). We had a group of 15-20 that invaded the Newmarket cinemas.

There's rarely been a period in my life that SW hasn't popped up. It's probably why I enjoy it so much, and maybe why I have trouble picking a favourite memory.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Okay, since we're starting at the beginning...I saw Star Wars as a 7-year old in the summer of '77. We lived over 30km from the nearest cinema complex playing it, so the family saw it once, and that was it for the time. It's appeal was instant, however...I spent the next day walking around stiff-limbed, protocol droid-style, forcing my younger brother to play R2's role as we recalled lines and scenes. As soon as possible, I started hoarding bubble-gum trading cards, R2 Space Ice stickers, Marvel comics, and, eventually, Kenner mini action action figures.

A few months in to 1978, Star Wars re-screened locally during the school holidays, and for the first time in my life I saw the same movie at the theatre more than a single time. And then again, for good measure.

The second and third images below are scans of clippings from one of my childhood Star Wars scrapbooks.

Image Image Image
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Hey Matt, those movie ads take me right back as well, first seeing it in 77, there were no videos back then either and we only had a black and white tv then too.
I think I had worn out two or three needles on our record player listening to the LP time and again to relive the experience.
WOW what a time long ago. :)
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

badges2nz wrote:Hey Matt, those movie ads take me right back as well, first seeing it in 77, there were no videos back then either and we only had a black and white tv then too.
I think I had worn out two or three needles on our record player listening to the LP time and again to relive the experience.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the "Story of Star Wars" LP...that was an essential item to survive between movie releases and screenings. I still have my original copy of each of the narrated movie LPs :)

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:The second and third images below are scans of clippings from one of my childhood Star Wars scrapbooks.
That's so awesome that you've held on to those clippings. I couldn't think of a better keepsake for a fan!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

saw ANH in 77 in Whangarei! I think I was 5 going on 6. I have a few enduring memories of seeing the film....I guess it must have made an impression eh?

by ROTJ I was a total convert. A mate of mine had a few copies of bantha tracks, we used to make blasters out of whatever we could get out hands on an run round like silly buggers :) It's funny I guess I'm still doing this really :blink:
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

oota goota wrote:saw ANH in 77 in Whangarei! I think I was 5 going on 6. I have a few enduring memories of seeing the film....I guess it must have made an impression eh?

by ROTJ I was a total convert. A mate of mine had a few copies of bantha tracks, we used to make blasters out of whatever we could get out hands on an run round like silly buggers :) It's funny I guess I'm still doing this really :blink:
Hey Oota, think of it this way, either young or slightly older isn't it still fun to do. :)
It's just a little bit better when we are older as we have some more knowledge of model making and costuming to back us up.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

MattG wrote:
badges2nz wrote:Hey Matt, those movie ads take me right back as well, first seeing it in 77, there were no videos back then either and we only had a black and white tv then too.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the "Story of Star Wars" LP...that was an essential item to survive between movie releases and screenings. I still have my original copy of each of the narrated movie LPs :)

I don't know where my one went to, would be nice to try and get another just for the keep sakeness of the item, probably be expensive now for one of these.
At least I still have my Darth Vader, but he needs some repairs done to bring him back up to some form of good condition.