Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Han Solo Anthology Film

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Reverend Strone wrote:Gotta say, this is the first announcement of new SW media that I’m not jumping with excitement about. Maybe I am being too conservative and should lighten up? I don’t know. I just wonder if this a story we need to be shown or is it cooler leaving Han’s younger years and his meeting with Chewie (which surely this must feature) mysterious? Is there the risk we could be overexposing Han a bit? It’s a huge universe and there are so many stories we could explore. Kasdan’s involvement lends reason for optimism, but they could still mess it up. I’d almost rather they went with an animated tv show and told some stories akin to the Brian Daly novels about Han’s early smuggling career than recast such an iconic character in a live action feature. A switch to animation and shorter stories might at least make the recasting more easily digested and allow them to strike a different tone with it, but a live-action feature film? I don’t know. I’m a little wary of this one possibly being a misstep.

Anyhow, initial doubts and reservations aside, it also has the potential for awesomeness, so I’m hopeful.
I feel the same... as you know.

So long as they don't cast Aaron Paul, I'll be happy.

Go with an unknown, someone who can ape Harrison, then it might work.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

There were rumours that Aaron Paul was being courted to star in a Han Solo standalone, not necessarily as Han, but it went quiet...

Then, on the day the movie was announced, he posted this:
Attachments
Instagram.jpg
Instagram.jpg (173.31 KiB) Viewed 10070 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Harvey Mushman wrote:There were rumours that Aaron Paul was being courted to star in a Han Solo standalone, not necessarily as Han, but it went quiet...

Then, on the day the movie was announced, he posted this:
...and StarWars.com responded thusly:
We've been following Aaron for months... after he was Luke for the Live Read of Empire back in December.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Entertainment Weekly has posted an article about the upcoming young Han Solo film -

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/13/st ... g-han-solo
No actor has been hired yet, and they’re aren’t even close in that department.
“He’ll definitely be probably in the high teens, low 20s,” Kennedy says. “We’re not introducing you to a 10-year-old Han Solo.”
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Han Solo Anthology Film (2018) *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

Finding myself really looking forward to this Han Solo film. Only 15 months to go (to a May 2018 release) http://www.starwars.com/news/han-solo-s ... ory-begins
Attachments
han-solo-cast-photo.jpg
han-solo-cast-photo.jpg (492.53 KiB) Viewed 9791 times
karamea
Ensign
Ensign

Post by karamea »

Yep keen also but possibly not as much as I was about Rogue One. Still hoping to hear about an Obi-wan movie (or 2) . Dunno about Boba Fett movie(s).. But anything to do with Darth Vader gets me going :-)
Don't make me destroy you
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

karamea wrote:Yep keen also but possibly not as much as I was about Rogue One. Still hoping to hear about an Obi-wan movie (or 2) . Dunno about Boba Fett movie(s).. But anything to do with Darth Vader gets me going :-)
Agreed. Definitely take Obi-Wan well over Fett.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

StarWars.com's official word on the removal of the Han Solo directors: http://www.starwars.com/news/a-message- ... -solo-film

Ron Howard and Joe Johnston are among the rumoured possible replacements. HollywoodReporter has a useful write-up: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ed-1015474?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

StarWars.com has just confirmed Ron Howard as director: http://www.starwars.com/news/ron-howard ... -solo-film
karamea
Ensign
Ensign

Post by karamea »

That's a bold move but I fully support it. At the risk of setting myself up here I actually got 'a bad feeling' about those 2 and felt a bit uncomfortable while watching them on Youtube and always wondered if they were right for this. Have to say right now I loved the LEGO movie (so did my son) but I actually feel a lot better with Ron Howard on board, always been a big fan.
Don't make me destroy you