The Original Trilogy in 4K

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: The Original Trilogy in 4K

Post by Buzz Bumble »

MattG wrote: You seem to be contradicting yourself here. You say "...can't capture detail that isn't there, and no amount of computer trickery can add that detail" implying that the analogue film source is lacking detail, but also say that analogue predecessors are superior to the rubbish digital descendants.
It's not contradicting. Analogue formats played on analogue equipment is usually superior to digital formats, but even on analogue formats there is only so much detail to be had ... scanning at a bazillion dpi isn't able to capture detail that simply isn't there. If a speed camera using digital film takes a photo of a passing car, you still can't use the ridiculous TV show technique of "zooming in" and magically creating extra detail to read the number plate.

Whether or not the film stock is good enough to get enough actual detail for "4K" is a different question ... especially since at one stage the original film stock was "deteriorating" or even "unsuable" according to some reports.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I guess it wasn't clear if you were deriding the level of detail in the analogue original or the digital scan. I take it now that you're dissatisfied with both.
Harvey Mushman wrote:...There's no need to put a negative spin on everything.
Quoted for truth.
Buzz Bumble wrote:...you still can't use the ridiculous TV show technique of "zooming in" and magically creating extra detail to read the number plate.
No-one's claiming anything like that. That's a strawman argument.
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

I for one would love to see a 4K scan of The Trilogy, anyone that's seen the Wizard of Oz Anniversary blu-ray release can see the benefit of modern scanning technology when never before seen details on The Scarecrows makeup now become visible.

I would actually prefer higher quality scans or remasters on a single blu-ray with no special features than an average quality release with all of the special features intact - BD Live would work well off that.
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

Exciting stuff. Hoping this comes through!
The May the fourth experience was incredible. The level of detail was pretty mind blowing on such a huge scale, so if they can take the res up even higher....yeah boyee!! :victory:

And if they do it with the unaltered OT, then even better!
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Harvey Mushman wrote:For May the Fourth?

Like most cinemas, that was a rip of the Blu-rays!

(So definitely not 4K!)
I was under the assumption that Sylvia Park only have 4K Digital Cinema Projectors (especially for Xtreme Screen) therefore the format used would have to be 4k otherwise it should have been really blurry.

If they did just use the Blu Ray's (just under 2K) it would have had to have been digitally upscaled and then converted to DCP format (which from experience takes quite a while) and even then it wouldn't exactly look perfect at least not to the quality I watched.

Maybe I should ask them next time I see them.

If they did do it inhouse, we should ask for a copy for our own SWNZ private screening ;)
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

thehiflyer wrote:...anyone that's seen the Wizard of Oz Anniversary blu-ray release can see the benefit of modern scanning technology when never before seen details on The Scarecrows makeup now become visible...
There ya go, Buzz.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

:roll:
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »