Star Wars: Rogue One (2016) *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Star Wars: Rogue One (2016) *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

Looks like we'll be getting progressively more details about the first "standalone" (outside of the sequel trilogy of Eps VII-IX) movie over the next little while. A Lucasfilm press release confirms the director and screenwriter.
Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta Onboard for Star Wars Stand-Alone Film

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due outDecember 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games' adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid,Star Warshas been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me, so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: Standalone Movie #1 (2016) *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

Tem Strikes Back: Temuera Morrison to return to the Star Wars Universe? Stuff.co.nz is reporting as much, referring to the fist of the standalone/spinoff films that will be interspersed between the Sequel Trilogy films. This information is not confirmed - in fact if you dig a little deeper, the source is merely a few additions to IMDB - but it is in the context of other believable information, making it a very interesting potential development. http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/fi ... -Star-Wars
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: Standalone Movie #1 *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

Looks like The NZ Herald tried talking to Morrison's agent. They didn't deny it, just dodged the question - nothing to confirm "at this stage": http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11287477
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

That report in the first post about Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta is about a month and a half old ... I thought I posted it here. :? [Edit: Nope, looks like I didn't - I know I was going to, but must not have gotten around to it.]

One of the rumours was for a Boba Fett movie, and that (unfortunately) now means it has to be Temuera Morrison ... unless they simply use another actor hidden inside the suit and over-dub the voice with a sound-alike.

There were rumours quite a while back about the young actor who played Boba Fett in the Prequel movies being cast in a new movie or TV series, but he would be far too old now.

The rumoured stand-alone movies are (from a list reportedly shown at a Hasbro sales conference in Germany):
  • Boba Fett in 2016
  • Han Solo in 2018
  • Red Five in 2020
Whatever "Red Five" might be.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Buzz Bumble wrote:That report in the first post about Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta is about a month and a half old ...
Yes, the post was made nearly a month-and-a-half ago :)
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

D'OH!!! Image
That's probably why I didn't post it here ... you beat me to it.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

I've met Gareth Edwards and talked the Wars with him, long before this was ever on the cards, of course. He's a super cool guy and a genuine fan. He's also a clever and innovative filmmaker. I think there's every reason to have high hopes for this first sidequel. :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:I've met Gareth Edwards and talked the Wars with him, long before this was ever on the cards, of course. He's a super cool guy and a genuine fan. He's also a clever and innovative filmmaker. I think there's every reason to have high hopes for this first sidequel. :)
Cool, that's what we want to hear.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One (2016) *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

Some official info spreading around the internet today like wildfire...title confirmed for this standalone film as "Rogue One", with a US release date of December 16, 2016.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one- ... d=12857855
Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One (2016) *SPOILERS*

Post by Anaria »

MakingStarWars.net has posted some photos which are rumoured to be sneaked from the 'Rogue One' set.

Check it out - they appear to confirm the appearance of OT stormtroopers!

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/first ... rogue-one/
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB