International Star Wars Retailer Reviews

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

International Star Wars Retailer Reviews

Post by MattG »

Given the extent to which kiwis have to rely on international retailers for Star Wars collectibles of all sorts, I though it would be useful to have a place to collate up-to-date information about our collective experiences with global purchasing.

If you've recently made a purchase from an overseas store (not individuals or eBay), then feel free to share details here, including an positives or negatives that specifically relate to the fact that international shipping was required/involved. It is useful to know about the timeliness of responses, whether online shopping carts easily cater to NZ destinations, quality of packaging, shipping methods offered/used, cost of shipping, payment methods available etc. It'd also be interesting to hear about slightly different/unusual purchases and items...e.g., those that are larger, heavier, more fragile etc.

It doesn't matter if we end up with posts about the same store/dealer, as sometimes a bulk of positive experiences can balance out an isolated negative one, or vice versa. :)
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: International Star Wars Retailer Reviews

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Ever since New Zealand bookshops have become utterly hopeless at getting any of the Star Wars novels, I've been getting most of my paperback book from BookDepository.co.uk which are very good and have free shipping (although some people had a huge delay a while back, it was never made clear whether the fault was Book Depository or NZ Post).

The only slight issue I have with them is their packaging, which uses rather flimsy paper envelopes with not very good bubbles. That means the books can sometimes get dinged during delivery (especialy when you have a hopeless Postie who tries to cram things through the mailbox slot!). They should use better plasticised envelopes like Mighty Ape or boxes like Amazon.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bumping this thread because of recent discussion over in the Store Reports thread. Anyone purchased toys from overseas recently and are particularly happy with the service or price?
spaceknight
Ensign
Ensign

Post by spaceknight »

I bought some Black Series 6" figures from http://www.staractionfigures.co.uk/ couple of months ago. They arrived well packaged and in excellent condition, took about 2-3 weeks. I find their postage charges to be quite reasonable (e.g. £6.63 for a 6" Figure, £10 for 2, etc). They don't offer tracking as they send by standard Royal Airmail, so I wouldn't buy fragile or expensive items. When you order for the first time, they require an acknowledgment from you (via email) that you accept the risks of items being sent by standard mail.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Excellent notion, Matt!

Like Buzz, I use BookDepository.co.uk for my Star Wars book purchases and have nothing but positive experiences with them so far.

For the miniatures that I buy, I either use Amazon or MiniatureMarket (but have both shipped to a domestic US address). Amazon Prime is great for free domestic US shipping, and i have found MiniatureMarket's pricing to be pretty competitive for new releases of Fantasy Flight Games minis.
Kiwi sapper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kiwi sapper »

I have become a fan of BookDepository.co.uk for my Star Wars book purchases. I was useing Amazon Prime but Book Depository works out cheaper, haven't had any damaged books yet, but packaging is on the light side compared to Amazon.

For Figures I am using Amazon, posted direct home may look at using NZ Post Youshop, to see if it is any cheaper. I don't buy alot of figures not like some I know. ;)
Join the Empire they said, See the Galaxy they said, yet here we are stuck on Tatooine
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

Kiwi sapper wrote:may look at using NZ Post Youshop, to see if it is any cheaper
Youshop have just added a second tier of shipping that is about 20-25% cheaper than previous. It does take a bit longer, but if you are not in a hurry it's quite a saving.

Only available from the US (not UK or China)
Kiwi sapper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kiwi sapper »

Finally brought a blue ray player and have purchased a number of Blue Ray DVD's from Amazon UK

Happy with the service and price got Rebels season one and clone wars box set recently

Must say I should have brought one years ago
Join the Empire they said, See the Galaxy they said, yet here we are stuck on Tatooine