Memories of the Wars

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Memories of the Wars

Post by ZY-Fighter »

Harvey Mushman wrote:Please, share some of your own!
I'm a Special Edition baby. I was born in August 1987 so I would've been 9 when they came out. Mum took my sister and I to see ANH, and I remember this for two reasons: 1) I was confused because I thought we were going to see Star Wars Trilogy :lol: and b) her car broke down on the way there, blocking one of Wanganui's bridges! We had to go back another day.

I don't remember watching it. At all. I don't remember seeing Darth Vader for the first time, or my first encounter with a lightsaber or TIE fighters. I have no recollection of watching a whole planet get destroyed in an instant. I do, however, remember getting out the ESB SE video from the New Plymouth library, and mum taping ROTJ (the unaltered version) from TV(3?) and consequently watching it over and over again from 1998/99 onwards.

My first toy was the Darth Vader with "remote control" base and light-up saber. I always wanted the Obi-wan or Luke to connect to it. Later I got Boba Fett and I remember taking him to a friend's house where we discussed "bounty hunting" - "a bounty is, like, a big hairy animal" I said! My sister and I each had electronic weapon toys too - I don't remember whose was whose but we had an E-11 and Vader's saber. I remember getting really excited when my sister's friend's brother had the Luke saber....he also said he had the big Falcon, but given he was a pathological liar and that he never showed it to me I didn't believe him.

I saw all three prequels in the cinema - AOTC in Japan, cos I was there at the time - and have seen TFA and RO twice each, once in 2D and once in 3D. I didn't go to the midnight screening of TFA because I wanted to share the experience with my now-wife. That meant I didn't use Facebook, Twitter or visit any forums between going to sleep on Wednesday and about 10pm that Saturday. It was hell. But worth it as I got to experience Episode VII with my fiancee - I almost crushed her hand at several points from excitement, I was giddy and shaking with excitement, and I unashamedly cried when Han died. Is it still too soon? I only ever read a small handful of EU books when I was a teenager (yet I knew, before TPM, that the Emperor's last name was Palpatine), never any comics, and have only vague memories of Droids and Ewoks. But I played lots of games - the first two Battlefronts took over the lives of my friend group for a long time.

Star Wars has been part of my life for two-thirds of it, and the news that Disney and Lucasfilm were planning a new movie every year until whenever made me incredibly happy.

I love it. Bring on TLJ!
Zac in Whanganui
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Memories of the Wars

Post by MattG »

I distinctly recall coming home from my first big screen viewing of Star Wars in '77. It had been a long trip to the nearest city cinema in Tauranga, and a late night for my 6 year old self, but I was buzzing with excitement as I strutted around doing my best C-3PO impersonation for the rest of the evening and the next few days. I received the novel and photo-filled storybook soon after, and from that point on, everything was Star Wars and Star Wars was everything. I hunted down the action figures from Kenner and comics from Marvel, consumed unhealthy amounts of bubble-gum and ice-blocks to get the associated stickers and trading cards, and listened to The Story of Star Wars on vinyl LP (recreating scenes in time with the narrative, with the aforementioned action figures) with such repetition that every detail was committed to memory.

I've written more on this topic in a 40th anniversary post here: http://www.swnz.co.nz/2017/05/25/happy- ... star-wars/
Attachments
anh40a.jpg
anh40a.jpg (634.83 KiB) Viewed 2828 times