New project - Monkey lizard!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

New project - Monkey lizard!

Post by oota goota »

Hi all well I am in sanding and bogging purgatory at the moment with my TK bucket and I have found that I need a more creative outlet while I finish the helmet sooooooo I'm having a go at something a bit different: Kowakian Monkey Lizard!

http://clonewars.wikia.com/wiki/Kowakian_monkey_lizard

I really like the way these creatures have been done in the clone wars series and as far as I'm aware no-one has had a go at making the animated-style lizard. The original Salacious Crumb has well and truly been done by Sideshow collectibles ( I think?) so this will be a better scuplt to do (ie nothing physical to compare it to :)). Also the clone wars lizard is very smooth in finish which is going to make life alot easier

I'm going to do most of this sculpt in harder materials rather than clay simply because I'm less familiar in sculpting in clay, I want to be able to paint my master and creature sculpting is new territory for me.

I've scaled the body to be about 300mm from head to butt with the arms legs being about 450 - 500mm. At this stage I'm jsut roughing in the basic body shape and looking for a suitable skin finish.

Here's the a couple of pics of the body shape and pose. Still a bit of refining to do :), comments and criticisms always welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0477 (536x800).jpg
IMG_0479 (527x800).jpg
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: New project - Monkey lizard!

Post by oota goota »

Here's a couple of skin textures I have been mucking around with. I'm pretty happy with the smoother one. The more scaly, 'drier' looking skin is closer to the OT lizard and I want a clone wars finish but with a little texture to make the beast more interesting
Attachments
IMG_0478 (800x700).jpg
IMG_0480 (800x443).jpg
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Here's a shot with a neck photocopied head. It's still really early days but I am happy with the overall feel of the body; fat and curved and bottom heavy!
Attachments
IMG_0481 (721x800).jpg
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

You might find these useful, the images are Hi-Res

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/vendors/product.php?sku=2219
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

What a cool project! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with...I'm sure it'll be great.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

thanks MG me too! I've been debating whether to do a static pose, a posable figure, soft skin or hard casting. I'll be asking help from SWNZ members to help make these kinds of decisions and make the best lizard that I can :)!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

fredstar wrote:You might find these useful, the images are Hi-Res

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/vendors/product.php?sku=2219

Thanks Fred yes they will be useful. It's quite hard to find decent shots of the back and sides of the clone wars monkey lizard. I might have to try and get some screen caps
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Awesome! What a great idea :D I love the monkey lizards in the Clone Wars (Hondo is a cool character, love that he has one). Looking forward to following your progress :)

A pirate and his pet by dodkalm72, on Flickr

Don't mess around! by dodkalm72, on Flickr
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

awesome pics Anaria thanks! That second one is especially useful.

Here's some more progress pics. i very quickly cut up some arms and legs out of 20mm foam on the band saw to get a rough idea of how my lizard is looking.

Everything is a bit undersized especially the hands and feet but I feel like I have got a fairly natural pose. He's putting a bit of his weight on his left arm and slouching forward.

I'm going to work on the body more over the weekend and start firming up some dimensions on the legs
Attachments
IMG_0483 (800x744).jpg
IMG_0485 (800x620).jpg
IMG_0484 (800x637).jpg
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

sigh barely 1 hour after posting this I have decided to repose the beast. He's going to angle the other way and put most of his weight on the extended arm. I'm going to break and adjust the central disc-of-flab bit in the middle and go from there. More pics tomorrow!