Electrifying Artoo

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electrifying Artoo

Post by MattG »

Got some major quarterly work deadlines out of the way last night, and while I had a brief window of opportunity, I satisfied the prop-building urges by editing some sound files and configuring their behaviour on a triggerable sound board. I'm using the same sound system that Bazzack used in his astromech...because he was my source for this component (thanks!)...have been having fun playing around with the software and working out how I'm going to integrate it with some of his other electronics...I might latch together the circuit for his holoprojector, and various sound files, so that the remote signal that plays Leia's message, for example, automatically lights up his projector. Probably need a trip to Jaycar before I can show more progress though.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Not sure if this is going to work yet...probably should wait until I do know...but I just received these in the mail.

Have been wondering how to do a cheap and easy job of getting the front logic display (the little rectangles of flashing white and blue lights on the dome) to work. After a few false starts and overcomplicated ideas, these LEDs form the basis for my current plan. They're flashing LEDs, with a couple of different colours and flash rates in there. I went the lazy route and sourced them of eBay, pre-wired with inline resistors (for 12V), which means all I need to do is wire them up in parallel (even then, should only draw about 0.5amps, which the wiring trunk to the dome should easily handle). The LEDs are a larger diameter than they should be, but they will be filtered through a printed lens to give the effect of smaller light sources.
Attachments
DSC09886.jpg
Deadalus Thorn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Deadalus Thorn »

Very very nice.

I couldnt trouble you to flick me the trader name could I? I am looking for something like this for a project I am working on, and It would save me a lot of time soldering etc

Regards
Dave
Kind Regards
Deadalus Thorn

Feel free to join our Facebook group
SDT replica props and costumes
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 108&ref=mf
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Sure - I got them through this store. You can get bulk LEDs cheaper through other sources on eBay, but this seller, and these products, met a number of criteria that I was after (eg, specific colours and flash rates).
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

I'll look forward to seeing how this works out for you Matt. I can see myself needing another astromech front logic display at some stage. ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Will do - it's going to be a budget alternative, rather than a screen-accurate option (obviously), but these things are easy to swap out for upgrades later.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Took a brief break from other things today, and wired up R2's front logic display. The effect is better than I'd hoped...

[youtube]WJH7CDbvvTk[/youtube]
reelcollectibles
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by reelcollectibles »

That's worked really well Matt :)
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

That looks really good Matt. Is that those white and blue lenses that you've had for ever?

B
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bazzack wrote:That looks really good Matt. Is that those white and blue lenses that you've had for ever?

B
yeah, the transparencies have been installed for some time...this step was finally getting around to backlighting them.