So this morning I finished assembling the two pep files ready for fibreglassing.
One is quite a bit bigger, and I am deciding whether or not to chop about 25mm out of the middle, as seen from the side. It's not overly big, and should look really intimidating on a mannequin, especially one over six foot tall.
They are sized against an EFX helmet. The pictures were taken from about 3 metres to lessen parallax distortion.
Comments welcomed re shortening the larger helmet.
Had a great day Saturday, casting scrap aluminium into ingots. I managed to get two casts of the Tusken snout piece - a bit rough but should come up OK with a lot of filing and buffing. The teeth still need to be cut out, probably with the bandsaw again, then finish them by filing and buffing.
Also, I trimmed the back of the larger helmet. It's still a bit taller than the other and seems to have a better shape now. Hopefully I can get the first coat of resin on them tomorrow.
I'd be over the moon to even be able to construct the prep models lol.
I'm in no way an expert on Tuscan Raider helmets but I think I'm liking the larger of the two....the smaller one has definitely taken on a more rounded look. I know the wrapping would hide that but the larger looks more comfortable (maybe Ive just got a big head lol)
Im looking forward to seeing more pictures as you progress....truely awesome work
As it always does, the fibreglass stiffens the card up so much that the helmet needs trimming to get my head inside. So what I'll do is have a flexible 'curtain' of leather at the back that I can glue the cloth strips onto. I seem to remember doing that to the last one I made. Early days yet, and it's still possible to cut and reshape the helmet, then glue it back together with epoxy.
This picture from MOM has a sash wrapped around the neck that shows what I'm aiming for.
I'm also looking at putting some counterweights at the back of the helmet to stop the snout dragging the front down while it's being worn. Apparently the Tusken builders on the Krayt Clan do this.
Making progress with fibreglassing! Got both helmets glassed as well as two projects I'd been meaning to get to - the ABC Robot and a Terminator Space Marine helmet. The termi is going to Wellington for my son to finish and I hope to get the ABC Robot finished here at some stage. The robot head is larger than in the movie, to make it a bit more intimidating.
I trimmed the Tusken shells so that I can slip them on without any problem. They will need to be lined and have a foam band installed for wearing. Next stage is to bog the eye panel so I can sand it exactly flat - to avoid the eyes pointing in different directions. Have to do the same with the tusks as well. But they're coming along.
Well, I've been busy working on other projects, so not much to report. I have prepared all the metal bits, except the snout pieces. They need to be cast again as some stray sand had spoiled the first casts. Might try these in lost foam rather than green sand. Anyway, hopefully will have some more done soon.
I like your work and look forward to seeing how these ones come out, ill be up just after christmas.
I have some bits and pieces for Indy as well as a couple of pep files I might need a hand with putting together.
I'll be doing a bit of work over at nicks place, sorting out switchboard plus some wiring for a couple of days.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.