Tusken Raider - Mk2 version - a double scratchbuild

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Re: Tusken Raider - Mk2 version - a double scratchbuild

Post by Blaxmyth »

It'll be good to catch up again, Craig. Looking forward to some more pepakura as well. Still not much progress on the Tusken heads, but will have to kick it along. Just been busy with about 20 other projects.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

I have two of the pep files printed out for the tie pilot that you have given me, might need your help with putting this together if possible.
I'm slowly working on bb8 but have another droid to do as well, this one is more sturdy and mainly made out of 1/2 inch ply for the framing, hope to get this done fairly quickly as I would like to try and have him operational by May 4th, if possible.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Crikey, best part of a year has come and gone without any progress on this build. :ohwell:

Well, now I'm retired and down to about 15 unfinished projects, I hope to make some progress over the coming weeks or months...
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Well, who knew retirement would be so busy? Seems like only a few days have passed since I last did anything on the Tuskens.

Today I had a go at lost foam casting to make some more snouts. I used a hot nichrome wire to cut out a pattern in some foam, then coated the form with plaster. I left it for a few weeks to get really dry to minimise hazards when pouring the aluminium. The moulds are supported in dry sand and the hot aluminium poured directly onto the foam. The foam burns away and the plaster supports the moulded shape. It worked pretty well.

Next step is to round of the point of the snout with a grinder, then buff it and tap a couple of M4 holes for mounting.

Here's an update, showing the mounting of the eye tubes and head spikes.
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0039.JPG
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Hey Blaxmyth, I am totally loving the first helmet that you have made, it takes pride of place in my work shop with my black series helmets, interested in how these ones come out, stay safe and have fun.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.