Quick DLT Build!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Quick DLT Build!

Post by Green1000 »

Figure I should chuck up some info on my DLT 19 build. I'm trying to get this done quickly so It doesn't keep taking up the whole lounge (Sorry Jess!)

I got a seconds kit from Oota, which had a few air bubbles around the place. Nothing a bit of kneed it, and sanding couldn't fix though! This is going to be a trooping blaster, it will get a million knocks, and as its not a display piece, so I'm going for a nice finish, but not 100% perfect!

I also wanted to make the barrel removable. I couldn't find any plastic pipe that was able to be used as the inner barrel, I just happened to look at our broom, with a metal pole (a cheapie two pack from the warehouse) and it was a perfect fit inside the top barrel tip! I was also able to reuse the screw mechanism that it uses to attach to the broom head! (photo is of the not chopped up outside one, I chopped up the exact same non rusty inside one for my project)

End where it attaches to the main body.

Stuck to the barrel end with epoxy, and a bunch of hot glue.

This is how its sitting at the moment on the coffee table (sorry Jess!) under all the tape is the "nut" part of the screw system, I Epoxied it in, but it keeps breaking, so I may yet still have to find a new system, or make the whole thing non removable.

Now to figure out how to attach the stock!
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Quick DLT Build!

Post by Green1000 »

Todays Progress update,

I have had to change to a non-removable barrel to keep it strong. If I was doing it all again (Which I may do at a later stage) I wouldn't cut the inner barrel so short!

I forgot to take photos of how I attached the stock to the main body, but I used a big bolt with the head glued to the main body, and the shaft? sticking out. This coupled with a nicely drilled hole in the stock keeps everything aligned. Add a bunch of epoxy, and everything stays all stuck together :-)

Anyway the inner barrel is kept in place with some hidden hot glue, and a plumbing pipe coupler epoxied into the main body, and a screw through it, not the prettiest, but should be hidden under T-track anyway. Its all nice and strong, now though!

I managed to epoxy the bi-pod on to the barrel today too, and filled in the crack at the top of the barrel tip with Kneed it.

Next mission is to do a skim coat of bog (I'm not very confident with bog) on the stock to smooth it out (It's a seconds piece), then attach the T-Track (in the right place!)

Now it looks like a real MG34!

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

It's coming together well. That aluminium barrel, in particular, really makes this into a fantastic replica.
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

MattG wrote:It's coming together well. That aluminium barrel, in particular, really makes this into a fantastic replica.
Absoluetly, 100% worth spending the extra to get the machined barrel. I feel a bit bad that I'm going to cover a bunch of it with the T-tracks
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Shame your removable barrel idea didn't work. I've done the "hunt around the house looking for things that can be cannibalised for greeblies or structure" thing too.
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

MattG wrote:Shame your removable barrel idea didn't work. I've done the "hunt around the house looking for things that can be cannibalised for greeblies or structure" thing too.
It's my favorite part of this hobby! There's always something I can use!

Tonight's update: T-Tracks

Cut all the T-tracks to the correct sizes for front and back of the barrel, Then cut a small section out of 2 of the rear barrel's tracks, to allow for the bipod holder.

Glued a couple at a time, then used some cableties to hold them in place for 15 minutes.

Then the process was repeated until they were all done! Cableties will stay on overnight to make sure everything stays in the right place.

Next filler for the stock, and etch primer. Then I'll probably spray a silver or Gunmetal coat, then satin black on top. Sorted! Now to have the weather play ball.
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

Update time!

So after a very eventful "holidays" involving helping my parents pack all their stuff so that can move from Chch to Palmy, and then moving myself across to the shore the day we got home. I am back into this!

Last night I carefully mixed up some bog on an ice cream container lid, and did a skim coat on the stock, and to fill in a little crack I had made at the front of the receiver. not too bad of an effort if I do say so myself, especially as it was the first time EVER I have worked with, or even mixed bog.

I totally forgot to scrape out the bog from the serial stamp, but oh well, maybe next time :-)

Sanded it tonight with my palm sander Jess got me for Xmas :-) and then a hand sand to make it all nice and smooth :-) It filled in all the tiny well holes really well!

Now I just have to wait till it stops raining so I can spray some primer on there.

I have some high filler stuff for the stock, and some etch primer for the rest of it. Then I will see how smooth I really got it, probably do another hand sand. Then its going to be some "Chrome" paint, and some satin black over the top, and done!

Stoked!
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Looking good, what bog are you using? Just something like turbo builders bog from bunnings?
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

quiet wrote:Looking good, what bog are you using? Just something like turbo builders bog from bunnings?
I got some SCA branded lightweight car filler from Supercheap Auto. I dunno if it's any good, but I wanted it to be cheap in case I stuffed it up :-)
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

I missed some bits on the first skim coat, and there were a few big holes, and rough patches in the stock that showed up really well after I chucked some primer on.

So I decided to have another crack with the bog. really happy with how it turned out this time. after another skim and a sand again.

I also saw a crack on the flash hider? That I hadn't seen before, so that got filled then sanded at the same time as the stock

Once that dried it was another quick coat in high fill primer, then a couple of coats of chrome paint so that as it naturally weathers over time it will look good. Didn't do the stock in chrome though, as I'd prefer it to be duller when it does wear through.

I'm really happy with how smooth this is!

I went to the warehouse tonight to buy some satin black, and then totally forgot to buy it while I was there! So will have to wait till tomorrow to do the last couple of coats!