Slyclone's various builds thread

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Slyclone's various builds thread

Post by SlyClone »

Armante wrote:For printing, you could check out 3dhubs.com
It lists printers around the world, including NZ.

I've had a guy in Mt Wellington print me a set of power cylinders for an E-11 Blaster
Thanks I'll look into that shortly. More options the better.
MattG wrote:Ooh, sounds like a nicely growing collection. Those shoretroopers are a pretty cool design.
Yer slowly getting there. I've had the helmet from Oota for 1-2 years and only trimmed it out. I need to finish assembling and paint it etc.
I love the shoretrooper and hovertank trooper helmets. Awesome fresh designs that do quite well at fitting in with the Star wars universe at bridging the gaps between Episodes 1-3 and 4-6.
Armante wrote:I was really tempted to get a Shoretrooper off the RPF. Absolutely my favourite design of the new ones for Rogue One
I've contacted two different sellers off there regarding the helmets, looks like anywhere from 215-340 USD shipped. Both are damned good quality helmets by the looks, but the price is a little bit high for my liking just yet. May just get the pep file that's for sale and do what I"m doing with my ARF helmet.
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

And double post for the evening!

Had a little fiddle with my Oota Goota helmet this evening, mainly with lining up the front center of the dome and the seams for the two halves. I do have one question that I'm hoping someone with experience can help, is the green line I've drawn on the helmet correct for where the front of the dome needs to be nice and flat. Had a quick google and it appears to be correct? Don't particularly want to cut it off and discover I was wrong.
Obviously there's a few areas I need to finish tidying up around the teeth and eyes.

Bonus photo of my current work space, though I have plans for a much better work space that will have better cupboards below and above the workbench and a longer overall space.
Attachments
IMG_3309.JPG
IMG_3309.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 7969 times
IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 7969 times
IMG_3307.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG (1008.96 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

SlyClone wrote:... is the green line I've drawn on the helmet correct for where the front of the dome needs to be nice and flat. Had a quick google and it appears to be correct? Don't particularly want to cut it off and discover I was wrong. ...
Possibly a shade higher, particularly once you've factored in the internal molding of whatever you're using for brow trim. I see you've cut 4 holes per side for the frown...so stunt version (I didn't see if you mentioned you were going for a non-ANH version)? Here's a good comparison of the brow heights for ANH stunt and hero versions. http://www.starwarshelmets.com/stormcompGinoCR_GF.htm
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Addendum to the above...if you're securing the dome/back by putting one screw/rivet under the circle of the ear piece and one down the lower edge, put the former in first, as you may find you have a few degrees of hinging to play with as adjustment, which can alter the position of the front of the dome/brow.
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

Thanks for the reply Matt, I never really thought of which version I was going with, I just cut out the indents and it added up to four teeth per side, so I'll be going with the stunt version. If I get the time tonight I'm going to trim the edge back once I lay my hands on some masking tape and then chuck a screw through in the ear area to align it nicely. Also better buy some rubber for the brow and neck ring, will see if I can sort that today too.
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

Afternoon all, grabbed myself some masking tape yesterday and have made the brow cut today. Pretty happy with it and just need to drill in two placement holes for the screws in the ears and then I'm going to tidy up the edges etc and do some more prep work on it.
Attachments
IMG_3314.JPG
IMG_3314.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 7937 times
IMG_3312.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 7937 times
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

And screws are in. Thoughts on brow place and trim thickness? Would like this to pass 501st standards once finished.
Attachments
IMG_3315.JPG
IMG_3315.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 7934 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

What is the measurement of your brow trim? I've seen it described as needing to be just over 1/2 inch tall.
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

Think it's either 6 or 8mm high. I think it's a tad small. If it didn't suit the brow I was going to use it on the neck ring.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

SlyClone wrote:Think it's either 6 or 8mm high. I think it's a tad small. If it didn't suit the brow I was going to use it on the neck ring.
Hey Slyclone been on holiday so missed this thread. Helmet's looking good! It may be a bit late to suggest this but I'd be tempted to make angle the face plate a bit more so it's 'flatter' when you look at it front on, especially if you're doing a stunt version. For the trim I've been using a channel strip no. 50 from para rubber. It's 10mm or 12mm (can't remember which) but is the right size for the 501st and looks good on the bucket.

Good luck with the ears!