Help - require non-standard pipe/tube size

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Armante
Commander
Commander

Help - require non-standard pipe/tube size

Post by Armante »

I'm looking for some help.

I need some pipe, tube, or anything, that measures 22mm on the outside, and has a thickness of 2 to 3mm.

I need it for the barrel of my E-5 blaster build. Bunnings and Mitre10 strike out. I've called a plumbing supply store and they can supply some pressure pipe, at a 6 metre length! I only need 2 inches of it, maybe 8.

Anyone have bright ideas of where I can find something suitable for the barrel?

Cheers
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Re: Help - require non-standard pipe/tube size

Post by Eng76 »

Armante wrote: I've called a plumbing supply store and they can supply some pressure pipe, at a 6 metre length!
Maybe a last resort, my "local" plumbing supply store sells pressure pipe by the meter - still a bit more than you need, but a lot less than 6m!

Let me know if you strike out elsewhere & I'll price up the meter for you :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Would dowel work? Much more common and cheap in that diameter.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Dowel's a good idea. IF that doesn't work go aluminium. The cheap stuff is pretty uh cheap :)
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

oota goota wrote:Dowel's a good idea. IF that doesn't work go aluminium. The cheap stuff is pretty uh cheap :)
I have some aluminium tubing, I'll have a look at the dimensions for you if you like.
It was the inner tubing to some curtain blackout material that is used on the standard rolling system.
As I said I'll quickly check the measurements for you. :D
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Nah scrap that, the Alu that I have, it is 40mm diameter to the outside.
But I do have 20mm conduit for electrical, and some solar conduit which is 25mm but in fact is 24mm outter diameter, would that work.
failing that maybe try your local electrician to see what they are throwing out.
I have rubbished so much of this sort of stuff recently.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

You could always get on with one of your local electrical suppliers, If they are really good they might let you have a rummage around their skip out the back of the shop.
The stuff that they sometimes throw out, I've been able to fit off the occasional garage and sleep out with what they throw out sometimes.
You never know you might find a sparky who is a real Star Wars nut as well, just like me. :D
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Got heaps of 21.5mm pvc tube of 1.5 to 2.0mm wall thickness. Should be close enough. Yours free - just PM me with your address and I'll get it in the post in a day or so.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

And if that's not close enough, I have to buy some more 22mm pressure pipe in PVC from our local Drain World. They sell short lengths and I recently got some to cover a plastic 'groan tube' for our young son, and now I need to make some more. No trouble to get a bit extra.
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

Wow :blink:

Thanks for all the replies guys! Much appreciated.

Matt - I thought about dowel too, but I don't have tools to drill out the barrel, so to speak, so less than ideal. Also worried about if breaking more easily than plastic pipe.

Jeez OG - you're a funny guy ;) No luck finding pipe at that diameter yet. I'm using bars of it in the build though.

Cheers Badges - I did get a hold of the plumber we use for everything around here, and he's having a rummage around to see what he's got lying around :)

Blaxmyth - You're the man. Free is good for a build on a prop blaster :D I'm pretty darn sure I want 22, but if you don't mind I'll take a piece of the 21.5 as well as 22mm, just to cover the bases. If I can hit you up for an 8 inch length of each diameter, at 2mm thick that would be fantastic. I'll PM you my address - please let me know cost for them and postage, and your account so I can pay.

Thanks again everyone - I should have come asking for help sooner. You rock! :woot: