My home built Boba Fett helmet

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
mrfett01
Ensign
Ensign

My home built Boba Fett helmet

Post by mrfett01 »

So after getting back into modelling recently I decided to have a crack at a scratch built Boba Fett helmet. The main reason I went with Boba Fett as there was no moulding needed. There are some great templates and plans available so I grabbed on from the RPF website and followed the instructions. Here is my current progress.

Next steps are to fill in the gaps with some kind of filler and a load of sanding. And feedback appreciated.
Attachments
Ear pieces nearly complete.
Ear pieces nearly complete.
WP_20160203_06_35_13_Pro_LI.jpg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 6579 times
Left side ear piece under construction.
Left side ear piece under construction.
WP_20160131_19_23_02_Pro_LI.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 6579 times
Dome in place and dent cut out.
Dome in place and dent cut out.
WP_20160131_19_22_53_Pro_LI.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 6579 times
Base and dome supports.
Base and dome supports.
WP_20160130_09_15_50_Pro_LI.jpg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 6579 times
Base and dome supports.
Base and dome supports.
WP_20160130_09_15_34_Pro_LI.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 6579 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My home built Boba Fett helmet

Post by MattG »

This is very impressive. Amazing what can be done with some sheets of card in the right hands.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Hey MrFett nice one! Are you going to seal the cardstock? It will make the base helmet stronger and give the bog something to grip to.

Looking forward to seeing your progress
mrfett01
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mrfett01 »

I wasn't going to seal the card, I was going to use some contract wall filler to fill in the gaps but its not that easy to work with, it's a bit crumbly. I have done some tests but might have to use something else. Do you recommend anything to either seal the card with and also fill the gaps.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

mrfett01 wrote:I wasn't going to seal the card, I was going to use some contract wall filler to fill in the gaps but its not that easy to work with, it's a bit crumbly. I have done some tests but might have to use something else. Do you recommend anything to either seal the card with and also fill the gaps.
Depends how toxic you want to be :) You could try PVA thinned with newsprint on the inside then use an automotive bog on the top. On the more toxic side you could try polyester resin or epoxy. Bog will stick to that well good luck!
mrfett01
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mrfett01 »

Thanks Oota. I was thinking of giving the whole thing a coat of paint. I have some house paint at home that might work as an undercoat. Then I could start doing some filling with bog or other filler when it is dry. That way I'm less likely to damage the card during the sanding process.

Do you think that could work or should I just put the filler\bog straight onto the card?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

mrfett01 wrote:Thanks Oota. I was thinking of giving the whole thing a coat of paint. I have some house paint at home that might work as an undercoat. Then I could start doing some filling with bog or other filler when it is dry. That way I'm less likely to damage the card during the sanding process.

Do you think that could work or should I just put the filler\bog straight onto the card?
Best thing to do is to do a test piece especially if you are trying a new process. You'll soon find something that works. House paint should work if it's a primer.

I was thinking you might want to coat it in glue to seal it and stop it moving when you apply bog, again do a test piece to figure out what works

good luck!
mrfett01
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mrfett01 »

I did an undercoat with some paint I had lying around home and then had to decide on a material to coat the dome in. Lots of options.

In the end I picked ADOS plastic putty to test with. Its a 2 part filler that has a hardener included. I mixed up a small batch and applied to a section of the helmet. It does not give you a long time to work with so best to do it in small patches, it dries quickly.

When it dried I had a bit of a sand and it sanded well. But sanding soon makes you realise how much work there is to do. I used a file to get most of the excess off and then sanded. Then it was time to fill again. I imagine that there will be a few iterations of fill and sand, fill and sand. Hopefully it will get to a point where I can use model filler of a more standard putty to fill in the small gaps. But for now its gonna be fill and sand and repeat.
Attachments
WP_20160214_13_12_16_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20160214_13_12_16_Pro_LI.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 6432 times
WP_20160214_13_12_02_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20160214_13_12_02_Pro_LI.jpg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 6432 times
WP_20160208_15_43_18_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20160208_15_43_18_Pro_LI.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 6432 times
WP_20160208_15_43_12_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20160208_15_43_12_Pro_LI.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 6432 times
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

If your using the builders bog, two part mix, try to put just a little hardner in it and mix.
Usually the lighter it is the longer you have to work with it to get it where you want.
The other thing you may want to try is the paper mache but then do a couple of layers in canvas doing a canvas mache which is a little stronger for the builders bog to stick to.
I'm doing that with my BB 8 dome build.
But yes what ever way you do it, you will expect to fill and sand, fill and sand, that is unavoidable unfortunately.
Good luck and nice work so far.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.