M40 scope

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Eng76
Commander
Commander

M40 scope

Post by Eng76 »

So, I managed to pick up my first piece of movie accurate hardware. I found this beautiful condition M40 scope on the interwebs, at what I believe is a reasonable price.

According to the rivet counters on FISD, the M40 was used in ANH alongside the more common M38. The only difference between them being the shape of the front 'foot'.

I have already had an offer to "drop that into silicone", and hopefully we can add it to the NZ armoury. I'd also like to add a camera inside a copy... but one thing at a time

Enough talk.

Pictures!

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: M40 scope

Post by MattG »

Cool! I've tracked M38/50s and M19s them on eBay in the past, but never purchased because of the competition pushing prices up.

So, that's a 1943 version, based on the front mount? (You're undoubtedly already familiar with it, but I like PartsOfSW.com for their blaster variant guides: http://www.partsofsw.com/e11guide.htm ).
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

MattG wrote:Cool! I've tracked M38/50s and M19s them on eBay in the past, but never purchased because of the competition pushing prices up.

So, that's a 1943 version, based on the front mount? (You're undoubtedly already familiar with it, but I like PartsOfSW.com for their blaster variant guides: http://www.partsofsw.com/e11guide.htm ).
There was no real competition for this scope, only one other bid. The sight came out of Australia, of all places. It was mislabeled as a "Telescope sight MHR co sniper" on ebay Aus. No SW reference in any of the description, and M40 only mentioned as part of the text on the front.

It is a less used / less referenced model from the movies, but still technically accurate.

Some of the really cool details (for me), are the 6 tiny screws holding the lenses in place. They don't really show up on the doopys resin one (also a 1943). I want to take them out & disassemble the whole thing, but I don't trust myself to put them back together properly.

The text on the front of the sight confirms 1943, full text:
TELESCOPE, M40
M.H.R. CO. 1943 R.J.D.
NO. 25124
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

It looks to be in great condition, and yeah, I can imagine that all the functional details like screws, imprinted text, and intact optics make it a very cool component.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

SCORE!
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

That's a most excellent find, must have had an eagle eye to get that one. :D
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

Looks great! Great find!
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »