A Generic Jedi Costuming adventure

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Tirenus
Ensign
Ensign

A Generic Jedi Costuming adventure

Post by Tirenus »

Anaria suggested I start a thread on my costuming efforts. After reading through countless tutorials and websites about Jedi Tunics, Tabards and Robes I found myself somewhat lost. I eventually found a Thread at the Rebel Legion on the Inner Tunic, Outer Tunic, Tabards and Obi by SithariRog which after reading and re-reading I made sense of what he was explaining so I'm following his Tutorial.

Here is the Link if anyone is interested:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... hp?t=29112

As much as I'd like to take on making my own Robe, I know my limits, so I will order one from MystikMerchants. The reviews on their Robes are quite impressive and as long as I give them the correct measurements, everything should be ok.

Last week I ordered a Jedi Utility Belt from CostumeBase, while I'd like to make my own Belt, I thought I'd purchase one now and work on a personalised belt for a future project. Has anyone else bought a Belt from CostumeBase?.

Boots!... I'm a size 13-14 and have difficulty getting Shoes, let alone Boots. I was lucky enough to find some on eBay from the United States. While they are pretty generic, I'll add some Studs to personalise these as well. They are the Funtasma Brand Jedi Boots with a removable Front Panel. They're not bad to start with, but the main thing for me is they Fit!!.
IMG_3979.JPG
IMG_3979.JPG (304.79 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
So back to the Tunic. I took all the measurements necessary and after a visit to the local Hospice Shop, I found some old Tan Sheets to cut up and set to work cutting and sewing up the Outer Tunic. To be fair, I've not done any sewing since I was in Form 1 and 2 (They don't even call it that anymore, how depressing!). So I just played around for a while, on my Mum's trusty Sewing Machine and the results weren't too bad, I'll post some photos in the next couple of days for your viewing pleasure.

Please note this has all taken place in the last couple of weeks, yesterday, after some frustrating results on the sewing machine, I headed to the shed and decided I'd have better luck making a Light Saber Hilt. After a few hours I ended up with this:
IMG_3978.JPG
IMG_3978.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 8629 times
The Smaller one is for my Nephew, he wants to be a Sith Lord at Armageddon in October (He was going to be a Jedi Padawan, but the Sith are Cooler, so he tells me?!). I don't think I'll use the larger one as I will order one from Ultra Sabers shortly, but it was fun to make. For those interested it was a piece of Safety rail I cut up, part of the Fishing Rod, two Cupboard Handles and a couple of Hose connection pieces.

It was nice diversion, but in the next couple of days I'll start putting my actual Tunic together. I'd like to get it approved by the Rebel Legion eventually so I'm taking my time and making sure measurements and detail are to their standards. More photos to come and I welcome any comments /suggestions as the adventure continues.

Cheers,

David
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Re: A Generic Jedi Costuming adventure

Post by Blaxmyth »

Ingenious use of found materials! Very nice results.
Tirenus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tirenus »

Thanks Blaxmyth, I was pretty happy with the results of the Hilts.

So I've made my first set of tabards and matching Obi. They're a dark brown Cotton Material, which has a kind of textured look to it.
IMG_3993.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 8592 times
IMG_3994.JPG
IMG_3994.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 8592 times
I made the Tabards separately and then attached them together at the point where the seam will be hidden under the Obi. I've decided to use Velcro at the rear of the Obi to attach the Tabards, they only come to the Obi rather than hang further down.

My Belt arrived this week as well, its a pleather material and looks good, but its not the same as leather, I've seen several Belt makers in the United States who do Jedi Utility Belts, so if I have no luck making my own, they might be a good option. The inner Belt is loose when it arrives and you can tighten it up to fit more snugly on the outer Belt. I have to trim off some of the excess inner Belt at the front and then fasten the Belt Keepers, as you can see in the photo the left keeper isn't in the correct position yet.
IMG_3995.JPG
IMG_3995.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 8592 times
I do have a question that I hope you guys may be able to help me with. In my first post on this Thread, the photo of the Boots shows that there is a Panel insert at the front of each boot, it is held in by the three straps that cross it. When I wear the boots the panels flare out at the bottom, which looks very odd. I'm thinking Velcro or maybe a small metal stud to keep the Panel attached to the Boot, but has anyone else encountered this, or have some ideas?.

I'm going to order my Robe at the end of the week from MystikMerchants, and hopefully get started on my Outer Tunic, so there will be more photos to come.

Cheers,

David
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

That's some great looking stuff coming through. Nice, creative designs on the lightsabers too.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Tirenus wrote:...I'm going to order my Robe at the end of the week from MystikMerchants, and hopefully get started on my Outer Tunic, so there will be more photos to come...
Cool, I ordered my outer robe from Mystik Merchants too, way back in 2004 (my photo is 3rd down on the gallery page, my very first jedi costume attempt ...). Mine is wool, which I believe they no longer offer - was so much cheaper than trying to find wool fabric locally! Very nicely made robes :)

My boots are Obi-Wan Ep2 style, so I haven't encountered the same problem with the front panel, but velcro should work. Your fabrics and everything are looking great! Can't wait to see more progress :)
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Tirenus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tirenus »

Thanks Anaria, I appreciate your comments. Yes you are right, MystikMerchants no longer offer the Wool Robes, but the craftsmanship and quality look plus great reviews sold me on getting one made, rather than attempting it myself.

I should have more photos tomorrow, but a quick question to any Jedi costumers, what did you use to fasten the Obi around the waist?, I'm thinking Velcro, but is there a better option?. I'm currently finishing the Obi's (I have three sets of Tabards/Obi to change the look) and working on the collar of my tunic.

Cheers,

David
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Tirenus wrote:...a quick question to any Jedi costumers, what did you use to fasten the Obi around the waist?, I'm thinking Velcro, but is there a better option?...
Personally, I've always just used safety pins. I keep planning to attach a more 'proper' method like velcro, but those finishing touches always end up getting left to the last minute before an event and then I never get around to finishing it properly later! Same with attaching velcro to the shoulders to keep the tabbards in place - perhaps my next jedi costume I'll finally put proper attachments in! :)
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Tirenus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tirenus »

Well I had hoped to have more photos up, but a busy week took care of that. My Outer Tunic is done, and I'm working on a false Inner Tunic each night. Its just a Tshirt with attached sleeves and Collar, long term I'll make a proper inner tunic.

I ordered my Robe from MystikMerchants, so that's organised and won't be here for a few weeks yet. Lastly is my Saber, I have one in mind so I'll order that in the next couple of weeks as they deliver very quickly internationally.

So, all going well I will get some photos done tomorrow and try and get them up for your viewing pleasure. I'm looking forward to getting the photos up, not to show off but to get some constructive comments, all my sewing work has been based off photos, so I really want the professionals (That's all of you :) ) to critique it.

Cheers,
David