Darth Vader Helmet Question....

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Darth_Clysm
Cadet
Cadet

Darth Vader Helmet Question....

Post by Darth_Clysm »

Hi All,
I purchased a Rubies Supreme Darth Vader which I intend to modify and add to over time.....

But first,

I have worn this to a couple of small community events and I need to ask this question: when flash photography is used, you can see my skin beneath the breathscreen vents. I am not keen on the idea of wearing a full balaclava as it feels about 50 degrees under there as it is. Can anyone suggest what can be done with the mask to hide my face through the vents. I am wary about covering them up as breathing will become a definite issue.
Thanks everyone in advance! Who needs a sauna at home when you can wear this costume!!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Darth Vader Helmet Question....

Post by MattG »

You should only need to attach some thin black mesh fabric over the mouth area of the inside of the helmet. It shouldn't need to be particularly thick or heavy fabric. You can still breath (relatively) easily through it, but it will stop light reflecting back off your face. It's a problem that shows up with a few costumes (e.g., eye tubes on tusken raiders).

How much space is in the Rubies for adding a fan system? I personally don't like the idea of wearing any helmet without at least a small battery-powered fan in there. A fan in the right place would probably block a lot of reflected light too.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Fenix Props have a pretty good solution. It's for a DP Deluxe but it should fit a Rubies just the same

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vader-cla ... 1333328417

Also, yes I agree with Matt, you need fans in order to SURVIVE!

Darth Stone came up with a really good solution for his trooping version but it does require you to cut 2 square holes into your rubies and then mount x2 50MM fans which can be found at jaycar.

I would also mount another fan by the mouthvent also.

Oddly enough, I'm also in the middle of modding my Rubies for a friend to troop in :D

My next step is to fill in the top of the nose, correct the eyes and brow line with putty and then sand it all down for priming.
Darth_Clysm
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Darth_Clysm »

Thanks Guys - some good ideas!!!
Here is a pic of me at the local library entertaining the children!
Attachments
Darth Vader.JPG
Darth Vader.JPG (220.89 KiB) Viewed 9622 times
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

I like the picture of the inside of the helmet, the support used to hold the helmet on your head from a hard hat is a good idea.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

fredstar wrote:Fenix Props have a pretty good solution. It's for a DP Deluxe but it should fit a Rubies just the same

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vader-cla ... 1333328417

Also, yes I agree with Matt, you need fans in order to SURVIVE!

Darth Stone came up with a really good solution for his trooping version but it does require you to cut 2 square holes into your rubies and then mount x2 50MM fans which can be found at jaycar.

I would also mount another fan by the mouthvent also.

Oddly enough, I'm also in the middle of modding my Rubies for a friend to troop in :D

My next step is to fill in the top of the nose, correct the eyes and brow line with putty and then sand it all down for priming.
Hey Fredstar, what battery did you use for the three fans, I see it looks like a rechargeable one, what voltage amps etc would it be please, Thanks.
I also have found some metal mesh for the face and some black out material for helmets if interested.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

For longevity go for 9V :)
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Here is the mesh and black out that i currently have, I have been on the look out for the mesh from metal recyclers, security door manufacturers etc and have found nothing so far. I happened upon this by accident fortunately for me.
Attachments
DSC_0236.JPG
DSC_0236.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 9469 times
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

I had found on the RPF forums a modified Rubies Darth Vader helmet that someone had spent alot of time on, it looks really good.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Indeed, I've found this too. But again the question always arises, how much time, money and resources will you be putting into the project when you could invest in a real piece of art like this
from JMC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vader-hel ... 19fc341a08

If I were you, I'd sell your other helmets and get this one. I can honestly say it's one of the best I've seen in a long time and is derived from the Don Post deluxe but made to look more movie authentic.

He now also does a ROTJ version aswell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vader-hel ... 19fc343862

But I personally feel that the ESB version is much better. ;)
Attachments
$_57 (2).JPG
$_57 (2).JPG (479.06 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (444.47 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
$_57 (1).JPG
$_57 (1).JPG (444.15 KiB) Viewed 9356 times