OGA helmet version 2!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: OGA helmet version 2!

Post by SlyClone »

bboyvertius wrote:nice Jon!
cant wait to get mine!
X2

I'm getting more excited now lol
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

cadium wrote:Looking good Jon.

I know I'm only looking at a 2D photo but having spent a lot of time looking at the MK1 helmet I would suggest the following areas for fettling too:

Red areas some removal suggested.
yellow some addition suggested.

mainly taking some weight out of the tubes and reworking the "hovi tip" area.
Cheers cadium I'll take a look at that. The hovi area is hopelessly asymmetrical so it's trying to find a middle ground I think. I'll double check those tubes too :)

The hovi holes need to be bigger than the finished product by about 4mm to allow for the plastic so I'll check those dimensions before adding any more material. Same with the pointy bits really add to much and the damned thing will be too pointy :O

Anyway nice one cadium I greatly appreciate having another set of critical eyes on this most finicky (sp) of shapes.

I'll come with the results of my dimension checks
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

cant wait to get mine!
Cheers bboy I'm still waiting on my damned plastic supplier to send me my shipment! :mad:
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

SlyClone wrote:
cant wait to get mine!
X2

I'm getting more excited now lol
Thanks for the patience Slyclone!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Quick check on some dimensions:

screen lineage style helmets hovi areas are 45mm wide on one side 49mm on the other. that would make the form about 47mm and 51mm. I have split the difference and gone 49mm. The heights are about 39mm and I've matched that in the form so technically I should probably sand that back a wee bit rather than add more material.

Spiky bits above the hovi areas are 60mm at the longest point on a original helmet, mine is 58mm (allowing for 2mm plastic so I think it's pretty good. I might sharpen those points a bit though....

Tubes at the widest point are about 255mm. My form it's about 260mm. So they are 2.5mm wider or about 3.5mm wider each side after the pull (the 2mm plastic stretches to about 1mm or 0.75 mmon the sides). So I could sand those down a bit :blink:
cadium
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cadium »

oota goota wrote:Quick check on some dimensions:

screen lineage style helmets hovi areas are 45mm wide on one side 49mm on the other. that would make the form about 47mm and 51mm. I have split the difference and gone 49mm. The heights are about 39mm and I've matched that in the form so technically I should probably sand that back a wee bit rather than add more material.

Spiky bits above the hovi areas are 60mm at the longest point on a original helmet, mine is 58mm (allowing for 2mm plastic so I think it's pretty good. I might sharpen those points a bit though....

Tubes at the widest point are about 255mm. My form it's about 260mm. So they are 2.5mm wider or about 3.5mm wider each side after the pull (the 2mm plastic stretches to about 1mm or 0.75 mmon the sides). So I could sand those down a bit :blink:

Yep, you would be dead right about dimensions. I don't have anything to measure against. My suggestions are merely based on the shapes I see. I do think that the right hand (helmet facing forward) jaw tube flares out too much though and the fattest part is too far forward. Again, this is only me looking a various photos and is opinion only, please feel free to ignore everything I say as I already think your helmet is great.
The T-H-X account is six percent over budget. The case is to be terminated.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

cadium wrote:
oota goota wrote:Quick check on some dimensions:

Yep, you would be dead right about dimensions. I don't have anything to measure against. My suggestions are merely based on the shapes I see. I do think that the right hand (helmet facing forward) jaw tube flares out too much though and the fattest part is too far forward. Again, this is only me looking a various photos and is opinion only, please feel free to ignore everything I say as I already think your helmet is great.
You've got a really good eye Cadium I appreciate your feedback very much. I think I'll do a test pull and put a couple of pics up, maybe you can have a look then?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Hey all did my first pulls of the version 2 bucket. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results the changes are small and subtle but the overall look of the helmet I think is good.

The main changes can be more easily seen at the centre of the eyes and the height of the teeth. They are both about 4 -5mm taller. The tear drops post vac pull are slightly bigger, the lower jaw is more tapered on the right hand side which is a good correction IMO.

Sooooo yeah it still looks like my sculpt, still looks like a stormtrooper but has a few wee improvements. Anyway I hope everyone likes the newish look! I'll put together a helmet to see how a complete one looks

In the mean time my plastic supplier insists on sending me this semi-gloss ABS rather than the high gloss stuff I have been enjoying for the last few months. Sigh..... the plastic polishes up fine but it's not my preferred type so I will chase them up (again) in the hope I can get the good stuff.

After that I will start pulling some helmets especially for those of you who have been waiting so patiently :) Oota Goota Industries can only operate on Saturdays at the moment so production is going to sadly be a bit slow for a while.

New faceplate is on the left, old bucket I am doing up is on the right
Attachments
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 7069 times
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 7069 times
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 7069 times
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 7069 times
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 7069 times
IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 7069 times
Last edited by oota goota on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

Pretty, pretty, pretty. I really like the changes to the teeth, I think the eyes are a bit subtle for me to appreciate.

But, gosh darn: It's a Stormtrooper!

On a side note, I only have to type Sto for my phones auto-complete to give me Stormtrooper!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Eng76 wrote:Pretty, pretty, pretty. I really like the changes to the teeth, I think the eyes are a bit subtle for me to appreciate.

But, gosh darn: It's a Stormtrooper!

On a side note, I only have to type Sto for my phones auto-complete to give me Stormtrooper!

cheers Eng yeah it's pretty subtle but the new nose is 5mm taller than the old (13mm versus 18mm). I think the teeth will paint up well give them a bit of a taller look consistent with a screen used