A new Bounty Hunter-Shae Vizla The Old Republic

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
mdb
Captain
Captain

Re: A new Bounty Hunter-Shae Vizla The Old Republic

Post by mdb »

Cool :) Tomorrow may be the last day I wear Shae, it's quite light as armour goes but it's taking a toll.

But I have a big beautiful red silk dress for the other days which will be no different- except only one or two different flavour of geeks will recognise me ;)

Summer shall be spent making my molds more stable so I can cast All the Things properly :)

Also will be wearing my silly balaclava for a photoshoot in the morning. So not dodgy looking at all being made from the same fabric as my bodysuit. No.

So I'm looking at a complete rebuild thanks to some cool stuff but my base costume I am very proud of :)

I'll be talking about how I made it in a panel on monday :) Nice range of how to make stuff at home for those with a workshop and those without. Should be a nice relaxed chat type thing :)
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Hey mdb, I love the costume that you have made with all of your hard work going into that, it must have been quite a good feeling to complete and get so many great comments on it.
I must say that is great to see the progress from start to finish and see the final product.
Keep it up.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Thank you :) I have collected many online photos and put them on my tumblr;
http://neimhaille.tumblr.com/tagged/shae_vizla

Yeah, it feels great to have such a big project mostly tackled :) My .doc file all the things neeed doing kind of terrified me a few months back :)
vctrsone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by vctrsone »

hey MDB still loving this whiole build..just looked over the whole thing again :)

anyway I was wondering where to got the plastic from for the visor? I was looking at buying a motorbike visor but they are expensive and apparently hard to work with.

so I need to get me some clear or dark tinted plastic for my helmet and im having a hard time finding some.
Maker of stuffs and things.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

I used some gold foil window tint on some thin (possibly acrylic) plastic from Gordon Harris. It wasn't optically ideal but I had great vision :)

I have an inexhaustible supply of the gold tint if you are interested? I would recommend finding some way of holding the plastic in a curve as the foil goes on the concave side so is prone to wrinkling.

A kind fellow Mando/RL member in Oz has offered to help me with some security tint but real life and a billion charity events has put it off for a while ;)

And in regards to my full costume, I am currently burning out on another project but I fully intend on getting my costume reworked :) The mandos in game have a bluish tint to their armour so I am really not sure if Shae does as well (I just did not get far enough into the BH story to get to her- I suspect is that it is some time around actually getting to the Great Hunt.)
vctrsone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by vctrsone »

cool! I actually went down to modern plastics where i get some of the stuff for my lightsaber blades..they actually gave me a half meter offcut of 1mm clear poly carbonate..flexible and hard as all hell..and I got some window tint for it.

also did you mean shape shape the visor and then apply the tint?
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

vctrsone wrote:cool! I actually went down to modern plastics where i get some of the stuff for my lightsaber blades..they actually gave me a half meter offcut of 1mm clear poly carbonate..flexible and hard as all hell..and I got some window tint for it.

also did you mean shape shape the visor and then apply the tint?
What I did for my clone helmets was to heat up the perpecs in the oven on a baking tray with silver foil at 200 deg for about 5 mins then form it into the helmet being used. (be carefull this is quite hot but very flexible at this point).
If you want to then you could peel the window tint and apply with water and some sunlight for maneuverability and squegee out the air bubbles and wrinkles, this can be quite difficult though.
I had some wrinkles left in the visor after a couple of trys, but with a bit of patience and endurance this could work out for you. :atatdriver:
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
vctrsone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by vctrsone »

man that poly c sure does like to curl up..had real problems trying to get the tint to stay on..it just unpeeled itself as it doesnt like the curve..Ive got a bit of an idea to solve it..but il post it on my thread to keep this one on topic.

on topic: this costume is epic...you set some pretty high standards MDB :)
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Thank you :) Yeah, the foil is a pain! I used ultra thin plastic that I could just peg in place for gluing but it's that concave curve... The foil I'm being given goes on the outside so it will stretch with the curve. Hopefully ;)

I just had a look at my costume again today as I am really tempted to wear it tomorrow for the Special Children's Christmas Party in Auckland but I'm wearing a slightly more parent friendly costume (i.e. robes and full skirt). Kids are fine but parents have been known to make inappropriate comments about shiny bodysuits... sigh.
I'm still debating making changes to the costume I am thinking about. I'm testing a paint for flex as I can mix it to a good warm silver :) I just then need thinner and a compressor for my airbrush ;) And a wider spray nozzle.

About to start a second SWTOR costume :) Ashara Zavros :D Armoured Jedi Togruta! Woot! I am really hoping these are a playable race soon. I really want an excuse to wear my Shae Vizla costume with my Montral and Lekku ;)
vctrsone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by vctrsone »

lol! and yer I tried a couple times but the thin polyc keeps curling..its fine to bend it in the middle but if i tryn bend the sides it kinda curls inwards and the tint wont stick to the edges. I have some black viel material I am thinking of putting behind the polyc...it makes the visor dark nice and dark and its easy to see out of..il tryn it and post results in my thread.

also keen too see your new costume :)