Need help with resin casting

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
HanSagan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Need help with resin casting

Post by HanSagan »

hi all, board newbie here

I'm currently in the process of building my own R2D2, and at this stage it's almost completely scratch built (Apart from the dome) but the time is approaching where I need to start making some resin copies of the master templates that I've made for items such as hydraulics, utility arms etc.

The only thing is that I've never worked with silicon / resin casting before and I don't have the cash to do a lot of experimenting and possibly messing up my original templates.

Is there anyone in the Auckland area who could give a noob a hand?
http://www.angels2200.com

New Zealand's most successful webcomic!
mdb
Captain
Captain

Re: Need help with resin casting

Post by mdb »

I'm sure others can give more practical help than me but I did learn a lot of things while making my costume last year.

I think I used almost as much casting and molding product in my trials as I did for the final parts so I understand your wanting to avoid that ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Might be an idea to post some pics of the pieces you're looking to cast - that'd help discern a good approach and recommendation on products.
HanSagan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by HanSagan »

Stuff like this:

and this:

And this (Still working on this one)

And this:
http://www.angels2200.com

New Zealand's most successful webcomic!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

well that first pic looks like it could be a 1 part mould. just glue a wood wall around it (once it's secure) and pour!!!

The next pic is a two part mould, not sure about the third (whether you need the hollow) and last I would do in 2 parts with the seam line along the edge of the shape to avoid a mould line when you cast.

Is that the type of thing you are looking for? not sure...

There are lots of different resins out there. There's one called supercast which is a slower curing harder resin you can get from top mark (up).

Silicone can be a bit pricey so try and make the walls of your mould 10 - 15mm max and use wood/ pipes as a 'jacket' to provide strength

hope that helps!!

Cheers
jon