ANH Vader Lightsaber

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

ANH Vader Lightsaber

Post by Neova »

Hi everyone, so I've decided to make myself a replica Darth Vader lightsaber hilt, but I was wondering if I could get a few hints on how to tackle it.
This is what I hope it resembles at the end of it, but it won't be anywhere near as accurate though I imagine :blush: :

So far I have a 1.5" OD chrome metal tube and I was planning to use wiper blades for the rubber grips on the base, but I'm not really happy with how they look, any other suggestions?

I also have some PVC pipe which I've already started to shape into the shroud and the piece in the middle with the calculator bubbles on it.

Can anybody make any suggestions on what I could use for these pieces:

The metal clip/lever thingy:

The D-Clip on the shroud:

And does anyone have an alternative to using the old calculator display:

I'm hoping to use items easily found at the hardware store, toy shop, or around the house as my budget is VERY limited (thanks alot kids...)
Thanks eveyone, sorry if my questions seem real newbie, but this is the first ever prop I've attempted to make. The purpose of this project is to just cut my teeth on something because I really want to get seriously into scratch building models etc.

Thanks again

Will
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Re: ANH Vader Lightsaber

Post by Neova »

Would I be able to "harvest" the required LED bubbles from a calculator like this one?

Calculator on Trademe

Cheers
Will
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Neova wrote:Would I be able to "harvest" the required LED bubbles from a calculator like this one?

Calculator on Trademe

Cheers
Will
I think the bubble lenses came from very specific vintage calculators - the Texas Instruments Exactra 19 and the Exactra 20 ( http://www.partsofsw.com/dvsab.htm ), and you're far from guaranteed to get something similar in a random model. If you're thinking of buying a calculator like that one on Trademe, you might as well splash out a few dollars more, and get some cast replicas, and know that they're what you're after. I've bought from these guys before - http://www.blast-tech.com/products_lensesBoards.asp . In fact, the saber below is one I made from a modified chrome tube with replica components, mainly from the Blast-Tech.com site. I know that you don't want to spend too much, but there might be some of the parts that are harder to replicate/substitute that you might choose to consider buying as "replica camera flash components".

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Neova wrote:...
The D-Clip on the shroud:
Image..l
You can get D-rings in various sizes from Spotlight stores. I know you don't have a branch in TGA (closest = Rotorua and Hamilton), but if there is a similar craft supplies store, they'd be worth checking out.
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Neova »

Thanks heaps Matt, that Blast-Tech site is absolutely fantastic!
I would much rather just buy most of the things I need straight from there, as it will give me the look I'm after in the end.
I've never ordered anything online from overseas before, do you mind explaining to me how I go about paying for things etc? :blush: Should I set up a PayPal account or something like that?
Again thank you Matt, I knew someone on here would have exactly the info I was after! :) I love this site!!

Will
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Neova wrote:...I've never ordered anything online from overseas before, do you mind explaining to me how I go about paying for things etc? :blush: Should I set up a PayPal account or something like that?...
Yeah, it looks like Blast-Tech take Paypal for international orders. You'll occasionally hear complaints about Paypal, but I've used it extensively since it was first available to NZ without problems (and remember the days past when we had to resort to Western Union money orders etc). Here's an alternative source (more accurate, but at a level that only a few purists would notice), so you can get an idea of comparative pricing - http://stage.rebelscum.com/estore/products.asp?cat=176.

It's been a while since I ordered from Blast-Tech, but I've heard ongoing good reports very recently about them. It would still be prudent to communicate with them by email before sending money, obviously.
Neova wrote:....I love this site!!
Nice to hear, thanks. Tell your friends! ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

PS: I should have remembered to post a link to TheCustomSaberShop.com as well. They are a great source for components for custom lightsaber hilts and EL blades, but turns out that they do have some parts for replica movie sabers too, including clamps and rubber strips. Check this page: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/HeilandMPP-C39.aspx , this page: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Grips ... gs-C6.aspx , and this page: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Clamps-Boxes-C57.aspx , for example (but have a good look around).

I've bought electronic components from them before, and received good service.
denodan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by denodan »

I do notice some use wood, or PVC piping for the blade on homemade LaserSabers, wonder why they don't use clear tubing and buy a laser pointer and install in to light up the blade, would look great.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Well, my ANH Darth Vader Light Sabre finally arried from Brians Toys in the US and I gotta say, it's pretty freakin awesome!

Here are the pics!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image