Moulding the top of the helmet to the Bunnings SW Planters

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Moulding the top of the helmet to the Bunnings SW Planters

Post by cloneone44 »

Hi All
I'm looking for some advice as I've only recently started to find my back into the Star Wars galaxy after visiting Galaxy's Edge early this year. I was so impressed with the droid displays scattered around Black Spire Outpost, I returned to NZ and immediately made 3 droids; BB8, BB9 and a GNK. Easy enough with what I had lying around the house. At the same time Bunnings Manukau had the SW resin planters on clearance at $5. I purchased many! Lots!!! With the idea of cutting the base out and adding the top of the helmets to Darth, Boba, and the Stormtrooper. Maybe even making a diorama of the Mandalorian and the stormtrooper helmets on stakes.

There's were my plan stalled. :cry: Having never moulded any thing before, and am seeking anyone's advice on a simple method (maybe cheap too?!) to mould the tops. Can any one point me in a direction to research, otherwise I'm guessing fiberglass? :)

Thanks,
Attachments
Bunnings SW Planters $5ea!
Bunnings SW Planters $5ea!
My 3 buddies, all life size and weathered.
My 3 buddies, all life size and weathered.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Re: Moulding the top of the helmet to the Bunnings SW Planters

Post by Blaxmyth »

Brilliant scratchbuilding! They look fantastic!
Also - great score on the $5 planters - very envious.
I thought about making a plug out of some plaster, probably a bag of 45 minute gib stopping plaster. Then carving it to shape and making a female mould out of fibreglass, keeping the shell fairly thin and flexible to aid demoulding. Wax the inside of the mould with car polish as a mould release, then lay in some fibreglass , trimming it to size and epoxying it onto the helmet.
But considering I have a shed full of unfinished projects, there is probably a better, faster way...
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Nice droids, and good score on the $5 planters.

As for molding... probably is going to require a female mold as Blaxmyth suggested. Can't think of a quicker/cheaper way that'll give a flexible shell.

This stuff is an option for one off shapes, but you'll still need a master to form it over - https://www.worbla.co.nz/products
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Thanks for the advice MattG and Blaxmyth. Both seem to be good options. I'll investigate both and let you know how I progress. Coincidentally, I had never heard of Worbla until you mentioned it Matt, then a few days ago, I saw it being used on a Youtube cosplay channel, "KamuiCosplay''. Looks interesting. You're both correct that I'll have to make a mould to begin with so here goes nothing! A project to start over Xmas together with a 1/5 scale of a T-65.
Thanks again.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Yeah, I hope to be able to use the Christmas break to make some progress on prop projects too.

Keep us apprised of your progress!
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Thanks to Covid lockdown, I've progressed a little further towards completing the first of 5 storm-trooper helmets on stakes (scene from The Mandalorian) using Bunnings Warehouse planters.

I thought I'd experiment using something a little cheaper than Worbla and thanks to 'Ace Cosplay' on YouTube, came up with the idea to use a cardboard exoskeleton (Stormtrooper planter) and EVA exoskeleton (Mqndalorian Planter). So far Free and $2 respectively!! And a few glue sticks. They were then covered with a wood putty compound ($7). Sanded, painted, and weathered.

The cardboard skull on the Stormtrooper didn't finish as well as the Mandalorian helmet using EVA. I wasn't too worried as the end result needs to be a battered helmet.

Here's a few pictures of the work in progress. Not a bad result for approx $10 per helmet.
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Here's pics of the two finished planters. I'm quite pleased how they turned out considering the gap between when I last did any modelling in my teens and now. Amazing how weathering can hide a host of sins! About to start my second trooper so I can put a stake through as in The Mandalorian scene.

Real shame they aren't a few centimeters larger. They would be very close to a 1:1 match. If I don't place them next to my 1:1 helmets, you almost can't tell the scale difference.
Attachments
Planter Stormtrooper.jpg
Planter Mando.jpg
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

With lock-down finished and getting back to work this week, I have to say, I'm going to miss being able to head to the shed each day and scratch build droids from whatever I find in the shed. Here's a few items that have been the result of lock-downs 1 and 2 in Auckland. I'm slowly getting the hang of droid making out of nothing.

Mandalorian Amber-pulse Sniper Rifle
TT-8L/Y7 Gatekeeper Droid
Baby Gonk
Stormtrooper Helmet on spike
MSE-6 Repair Droid
Stormtrooper (will add to a spike as well) and Mandalorian helmets
(lol - Snowman in the background is the start of getting the property ready for Xmas - takes me 2 months to decorate our house and street, fundraising for Child Cancer)

BB8, BB9E and the large GNK were projects from last year.

A bit more weathering and fine tuning and they should be good to go (display)
Attachments
20200927_131427.jpg
20200927_131408.jpg
20200927_130952.jpg
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Awesome. The full ensemble in the last pic looks fun.