I had so much fun a year or so ago when I built my first Tusken bust. And after upgrading some of my gear, I decided it'd be fun to build two more helmets, but making these fully wearable and adding some new features. Here is my first one that is now owned by one of the forum members.This is a work in progress, so it'll take a few months, but for starters I concocted a mould for the eye stalks. It has a central column of playground chalk, leaving a hole down the middle so there is less metal to be removed. I cannot overstate how much fun there is casting aluminium! Turning the inside of the eye stalk at a tapered angle - makes it lighter and should also increase the field of view. More to come.
First off are the head spikes. Previously I drilled and tapped a small hole and bolted them onto the fibreglass shell.
This time I turned them with a thin base, which will have a series of small holes drilled around the edge. This is so they can be fixed to the head shell with some leatherwork thread, locked in place with superglue. If the helmet gets dropped or bumped, I figure the spike should resist breaking off and might even pick up some authentic weathering.
Next were the tusks, turned from some beautiful ali bar, courtesy of Nick K. Thanks, Nick!
This time I drilled the centre nearly all the way down, ending with a 4mm hole for a bolt to secure it to the shell. With a 20mm backing washer it should be really strong, and lighter than the Mk1 build.
Lastly, the eye stalks, turned to 5.3mm wall thickness, angled at 5 degrees, so they should be both light and strong. Like the head spikes, they will be secured by glued thread - as soon as I drill a series of angled holes around the base.
The snout will be cast out of scrap ali, then finished by sanding and cutting the 'teeth' out. Probably get onto that this weekend.
Lastly, everything looks too tidy and sharp! I reckon Tuskens would have sand cast their gear out of scavenged metal, using basic equipment to shape and fettle each piece. And they would be smoothed and polished by their environment.
So - next steps are -
1. drill the mounting holes,
2. cut the slots for the eye stalks,
3. sand blast all of the pieces, and
4. buff them on a polisher to shine up the edges.
Hopefully I'll have some more progress shots soon.